Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

THe Quote Button

edited May 2008 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
I downloaded the thing for the quote things, but it doesn't seem to work. Someone PLEASE explain to me WHAT IS GOING ON.

Comments

• Are you selecting the text you want to quote?
  • I downloaded the thing for the quote button, THAT'S what I'm talking about.
  • Dude. Calm your attitude down if you wish to stick around. You're on the edge already.
  • edited May 2008
    I think he thinks it will work here when he downloads it there...

Its not quite like that...

um... ::scratches head::

Vanilla is code that runs on a web server... One web server is the computer on the other side of the internet that delivered this post to your screen right now.

That web server is running Vanilla, and Vanilla is the computer code that tells the server how to arrange, sort and track the posts and the people making the posts.

The 'quote things' are add-ons that tell Vanilla how to work a little differently--now technically they can have a part of code that works on your computer, but they also must have a part of the code that only works on the web server--that way the web server knows what to do with whatever the code on your computer gives it.

When you saw other guys here do quotes, they put some extra code in their posts (called markup) that made the posts look differently.

You already know how to do that I see.

So in summary, a computer runs software that makes it into a web server. The web server runs software that makes it serve Vanilla pages. The Vanilla software runs add-ons that might deliver special code to your computer to make quoting easier, although most of them do other cool things on the web server.

So if you want to try out the quote thing, you first must install some software to make your own computer act like a web server.
    Try this: How to install Vanilla on XAMPP Lite in Windows.

Have a nice day.

• And you can do this all for free because this man is the world's best software price-slasher:

He believes you shouldn't have to pay anything to learn how all this stuff works.
  • edited May 2008
    WallphoneAnd you can do this all for free because this man is the world's best software price-slasher:

He believes you shouldn't have to pay anything to learn how all this stuff works.
    lol
  • edited May 2008
    WallPhoneI think he thinks it will work here when he downloads it there...

Its not quite like that...

um... ::scratches head::

Vanilla is code that runs on a web server... One web server is the computer on the other side of the internet that delivered this post to your screen right now.

That web server is running Vanilla, and Vanilla is the computer code that tells the server how to arrange, sort and track the posts and the people making the posts.

The 'quote things' are add-ons that tell Vanilla how to work a little differently--now technically they can have a part of code that works on your computer, but they also must have a part of the code that only works on the web server--that way the web server knows what to do with whatever the code on your computer gives it.

When you saw other guys here do quotes, they put some extra code in their posts (called markup) that made the posts look differently.

You already know how to do that I see.

So in summary, a computer runs software that makes it into a web server. The web server runs software that makes it serve Vanilla pages. The Vanilla software runs add-ons that might deliver special code to your computer to make quoting easier, although most of them do other cool things on the web server.

So if you want to try out the quote thing, you first must install some software to make your own computer act like a web server.
    Try this: How to install Vanilla on XXAMPP Lite on Windows

Have a nice day.
    Oh.
  • MinisweeperDude. Calm your attitude down if you wish to stick around. You're on the edge already.
    Well, WTFMAN?! ALREADY?! Gosh, only been here for two days...Thats' EMBARRISING.
  • Like the man said, calm down mate, all the more reason to cool down if you are embarrassed!
This discussion has been closed.