Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Firefox 3 released

edited June 2008 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
http://www.mozilla.com/ Seems good, but I have to find a compatible version of firebug. Also, I am not sure I like its vista theme.

Comments

• yeah, some of my old extensions aren't updated to ff3 and I'm feeling a bit lost without them (firebug is one of them)
  • I wish the linux version had the merged forward/back button...
  • Dinoboff, there is a beta version of Firebug that works well with 3.0
  • Firebug - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1843 I went there with fx3 and it was available for install...
  • Oh yeah, and if you can't wait for the extensions to be updated MR Tech's Toolkit creates a handy option under Tools > Add-ons > Tools > Make all compatible. Worked for me through all the betas and RCs with only a couple of extensions failing to work properly.
  • there's a specific setting in about:config you can add to disable combatibility checking. incidentally, i can't remember exactly what it is...
  • extensions.checkCompatibility
    ?
    ;)
  • Vista theme? Looks a lot like Safari to me.

Posted: Wednesday, 18 June 2008 at 6:21PM

• Safari 3.1.1 and Firefox 3.0 interfaces for Windows Vista

Something Apple could learn from Mozilla...

Safari 3.1.1 and Firefox 3.0 interfaces for Windows Vista

P.S. I'm not actually a fan of the Vista fx3 theme, but the other 3 OS standard themes are quite good IMO.

• Which bit is to learn? I love Safari's compact and in-obtrusive interface, it does the job and lets the content of the site shine.

By the way, you have the status bar hidden in the Safari shot and no Home button.

Posted: Wednesday, 18 June 2008 at 8:32PM

• Just installed a fresh download in a VM — that's default on Windows... *shrug*
  • @wanderer: there is 4 official themes, one for XP, Vista, osx and Linux. What does the osx one look like ?
  • @Stash: thanks for the firebug link. Yesterday, mozilla website was too busy I couldn't access it. ps: Getfirebug.com is still down.
  • Here are Safari (Webkit in fact, same UI) anf FF3 side to side on Leopard (OS X 10.5):
    Yes, UI are close, as a matter of fact.
    For those wondering, acid3 is a constantly evolving browser test suite. Webkit did score a 100% for a short time and now they added another test dropping it to 98. Failure on FF side are much more, Opera does well. IE is KO as anyone can expect.
  • ok, yes [-Stash-], it's "extensions.checkCompatibility" boolean false in about:config. that will allow you to install any extension, regardless of whether it's updated to work in ff3.

also, if you want to make the buttons look more like safari (at least in OSX), try View -> Toolbars -> Customize -> [+] Use Small Icons
  • NickENickE New
    edited September 2008
    Despite Gecko's improvements, the Firefox UI is still as sluggish and unresponsive as always. I don't think they're striking quite the right balance between modularity and efficiency.

The Webkit engine is kicking ass right now, but alas Safari's interface is somewhat irking (both aesthetically and functionally). If only there was a browser with the UI of Opera and rendering engine of Safari...

btw, here're a few sunspider js benchmarks I performed today:
    Opera 9.50
    8797 ms
    Safari running latest build of Webkit
    4807 ms
    Firefox 3.0
    6317 ms
    Internet Explorer 8 beta 3
    16572 ms
    Google Chrome
    5060 ms
    machine is a 2.4Ghz Celeron w/ 512MB RAM running WinXP
  • on a Core 2 2,4Ghz with 2Go RAM running Vista:
    Safari 3.1: 4270.2ms +/- 1.7%
    FF 3: 3655.6ms +/- 2.9%
  • Yes, recent webkit releases are breaking through on rendering engine.
This discussion has been closed.