Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Post Count

edited September 2005 in Vanilla 1.0 Help

Random
Don't know where to post your comments? Do it here.
Discussions
Currently, on the Categories page, it only lists the total amount of discussion with a specific category, any chance you could also add a count so it displays how many total posts are within the category also?

Comments

• Its definately easily possible, i'll have a dig through the files and work out how to do it but by the time i'm done someone will probably have a better answer...
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    To make that query run quickly, it would have to be denormalized. I will not be doing that for the next rev.
  • denormalised?
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    To denormalize the post count, I would need to keep a record of the number of posts in a particular category in the category table. Technically I don't *have* to do that because the data is currently normalized and I can get that information with a simple "select count(CommentID) from some_table group by categoryid" type of sql statement. But that statement is a lot slower than just selecting a managed column directly from the category table.
  • ahh, i get you. That was the way i was considering it. I dont think of just changing the way it works to begin with, or consider speed. This is why you do your job and i do nothing...
This discussion has been closed.