Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Unable to Sign in after Install

edited December 2008 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
I have completely reinstalled a new installation twice and after completing the installation I am unable to sign-in with the admin account that I created during installation. Has anyone else ever encountered this and what could be causing it? I am using 1.1.5a. I have never had this problem before. I even requested a password reset, I reset my password to something as simple as apple and I still cannot sign-in. Some problems were encountered You do not have permission to sign in to the site. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    If can sign-in with the remember me option on, it is a problem of cookie. If you can't, it is probably a problem with your php session. Where is your forum hosted?
  • Options
    This is a completely new install, I have never signed into it at all. I install the forum and click on the get started using the forum link. I try to sign in and get the error every time. I cleared my cache and cookies and I still receive the error. I click on the link for forgotten password and it emails me the url to reset. I reset the password and when I try to sign in it still gives me the same error. This is installed on my home Ubuntu Server. I have installed Vanilla before with no problems, but those were the 1.1.4 release.
  • Options
    Did the encryption that Vanilla uses for passwords change? The encrypted saved passwords are now saved as this type in MySQL - varbinary(34) Could this for some reason be causing the issue?
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    no, there is no reason.

add test.php to your forum root:
    <?php $Configuration = array(); include_once 'conf/settings.php'; session_set_cookie_params(0, $Configuration['COOKIE_PATH'], $Configuration['COOKIE_DOMAIN']); session_start(); if (empty($_GET['result'])) { $_SESSION['test'] = 1; Header('Location: test.php?result=1'); } else { echo empty($_SESSION['test']) ? 'test failed, something is wrong with your php session' : 'Fine'; }

Then open it in the browser.
  • Options
    It returns: Fine
  • Options
    Check that your admin role can sign-in. Open a terminal:
    mysql -u YourDbUserName -p
    use YourVanillaDatabse; SELECT r.RoleID, r.PERMISSION_SIGN_IN FROM lum_role as r LEFT JOIN lum_user as u ON r.RoleID = u.RoleID WHERE u.UserID = 1;

it should show that PERMISSION_SIGN_IN is set 1
  • Options
    Okay. Empty set (0.00 sec) Something looks really screwy. The Roleid is set to 4 but the Administrator RoleID is 7 on this new installation. I just downloaded this, this morning. Does this sound correct?
  • Options
    I edited the RoleID's to 1, 2, 3 and 4 respectively. I was able to sign in fine. The were 1, 3, 5, and 7. Any idea why that would have happened on a fresh install?
  • Options
    hey, i had the same problem and was able to fix it with scotbuffs research. I also think I know the reason: if you install the forum for the second time on the same database (even after deleting the first install), the auto_increment counter of the index fields stay on the old values and continue to count up. Especially on a master/master mysql installation this could cause problems!
  • Options
    The indexes are drop with tables. How did you reinstall Vanilla?
This discussion has been closed.