Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Another question about how Vanilla works...

edited September 2005 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
I noticed that the custom user values are stored inside a serialized table within the LUM_User table, under the column "Attributes". I am considering something similar for my own application. What I was wondering was if there were any performance issues on doing things like this verses storing these values as regular columns? Would such an approach be just as useful/efficient if it were not only custom user values, but perhaps sitewide values that every single user had? Thanks for any help as always.

Comments

• Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    I'm gonna take a stab and say it's faster to just pull all your data from one row in a table rather than multiple rows and tables and break it down from within there. Not exactly my cup of tea when the content there becomes extremely large and you have to go in by hand to break it down, but I suppose it works if you're up to the challenge.
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    edited September 2005
    I didn't think there would be a performance gain going from multiple columns in one table to a single column in one table, but there surprisingly was a bit of a gain there. The only reason I went to a single column with serialized data was to enable extension authors to easily create new user customizations (Rather than having to add new columns to the user table). At the end of the day, however, you do take a small functionality loss when you go to a single column because you can't then use those values to do things like limiting a query based on user preference. IE. only pull users who have X preference turned on.
This discussion has been closed.