Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

redirecting unauthenticated users to login page

edited December 2008 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Problem: When an *unauthenticated* user copies/pastes a working (Vanilla generated) URL into their browser, it comes back with the error page "Some problems were encountered. The requested discussion could not be found." It will not take the user to the login screen and then redirect to the appropriate discussion thread, as one would expect. Although I've discovered the reason WHY it's doing this (the selection "Allow non-members to browse the forum" in Application Settings must be OFF), my real question is whether it's possible to leave this setting ON and at the same time allow the pasted link to authenticate the user properly by taking them to login screen first and then redirecting to said link? These unauthenticated users do in fact have accounts, they're simply logged out at the time of pasting in the link -- which in turn greets them with the unfriendly "could not be found" message. To a casual user this looks like a serious error. The simple answer, of course, would be to leave "Allow non-members to browser the forum" in the OFF position, but I need unauthenticated users to be able to see a particular welcome message under a special category I've created when visiting the forum, so disallowing non-members from visiting the forum is not possible for me. Besides, I don't like folks being greeted with a blank login screen everytime they visit the index page of my forum. Any help with figuring a way to redirect an unauthenticated user to the login page given my desired conditions would be most appreciated. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.