Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Better SubCatagories

edited February 2009 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
I have downloaded the subcatagories add-on for vanilla but it does not seem to work the way it should, why have a whole new add-on if you are going to define a sub category with a dash? There is no point for a add-on at all! Unless the add-on just is not working, I would prefer it if sub categories would only show up after you clicked the main category, if not possible have smaller links to those sub categories under the main categories url link? Vanilla seems to be the best bet for this site I'm working on because its fast and reliable, (though my hosting isnt) I would really love to have sub categories, because in order for my site to be a success I need sub categories, everything depends on them. Can I get some help?

Comments

• Options
    You need the addon because the plain Vanilla regards a category with a dash as a normal category. Only with the addon it knows that this is a subcategory. The addon is working exactly like you prefer it. Unfortunately, I cannot show it on my site since all the subcategories are for certain user groups.
  • Options
    I think it's more for visual organization than functional. Every system handles sub-categories exactly the same as categories; they are functionally identical.

The SubCategories extension requires some additional changes be done to a theme file in order for the visual change to work. Make sure you've read the "readme.txt" file for these changes.
  • Options
    As far as I know is the only difference between a category and a subcategory that they are displayed at different circumstances. I am very positive that Vanilla (with addon) can only determine a subcategory by the leading dashes.