Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Wordpress 2.8 Integration

edited September 2009 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Has anybody successuflu integrate Vanailla and wordpress 2.8 so far. The upgrade to 2.8 broke my 2.7.1 install. Now logging into WP no longer logs you into Vanilla. If anybody manages to get a working People.Class.WordpressAuthenticator.php please post it here!

Comments

• Options
    Any update on this? I'm still stuck on the WP 2.8 problem.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I'm sure many of you have heard about the recent worm attacks on Wordpress installs that have forced all Wordpress users to upgrade their site's versions to WP 2.8.4 this weekend. For those of us who've been trying to keep our Vanilla + Wordpress integrations working by hanging onto older WP versions like version 2.6 or 2.7 this is most horrible news as the integration is now broken with this WP upgrade.

I know the Vanilla community is focused almost solely on Vanilla 2 now, but i feel all us with existing Wordpress integrations have basically been hung out to dry without any options:

-- We can no longer keep using an old WP version to keep integration intact.

-- We can't upgrade to Vanilla 2 because there has not been a published WP integration method.

-- We can't get Vanilla 1.1.8 to work with Wordpress 2.8.4 due to lthe ack of a working People.Class.WordpressAuthenticator.php

Does anybody have any advice for people, such as myself, in this current situation? Any help, or reply at all, would be extremely appreciated!

• Options
    Mark is working on updating Vanilla to be much easier to integrate with Wordpress. He's even shifting his priorities to make this happen faster. So the solution is already in the works.

In the mean time, follow best practices to keep your installation secure. A few simple steps will go a long way toward protecting your site from hackers.
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply lenwood!

I'm aware of the efforts being made toward the WP integration in Vanilla 2, but most likely we won't see that for another month, meanwhile the Vanilla integration incompatible WP 2.8+ has already been out for four months now. Upgrading to the latest Wordpress version is the epitome of following the "best practice" in terms of security. With this new hack attack its not a matter of if your WP site will be hacked, but when. I've already spent all morning repairing a hacked site and can't risk having this happen the site i run Wordpress + Vanilla on; so again i'm still left with no reasonable options.

I love Vanilla with Wordpress, but the only time the integration has been easy was back in 2006 when Mark wrote his how-to tutorial. The three following years have kind of been a nightmare so I hope once v2 gets its WP integration on that it is this time maintained to keep being compatible with future Wordpress versions instead of being left to die like the Vanilla 1 integration.