Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Mark as unread (not read)

KrakKrak New
edited December 2007 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Mark a topic as unread. What do you think? I'd like it. I use the bookmark feature to mark certain posts of interest, but there is a limit... and I like to keep those as my "special" posts. Being able to mark a post as unread would be great. Say you read a post, and want to reply, but dont have the time at the moment. I've done that a few times, but forgot all about it. If I could mark it as unread, next visit I would see it highlighted, and go "oh yeah". What do you think? How easy do you think that would be to do?

Comments

• i like this idea very much. i know others would use it extensively, and i would from time after time.
  • Yeah - i tossed it in the pan a while ago. It would be good and not atall difficult. I'd even suggest it as core.
  • i concur.
  • ditto.
  • moi aussi.
  • Sounds like a good feature to me. I'm game.
  • lechlech Chicagoland
    /me marks this post as "read"
  • +1 from me. I could only see a few instances where I would use it myself, but I am sure it would come in handy for other people.
  • I was going to try and tackle this, since it seemed easy. But after digging in the Vanilla code, I'm at a loss. This is not the "typical" php code. I don't quite understand it. I found the areas in the files that do the DiscussionWatch stuff (I think). And I know what SQL table gets edited and so forth. But I really have no idea how to move forward with this. If it was the typical php code I could probably do it, but this stuff, it's too clean and tidy. :( I think I might just have to leave the Vanilla extension coding up to you guys.
  • I think all you'd need to do is make an extension which added a button to the control panel which then ran a sql query to remove this discussion/user id combo from the table. The first part is simple, and the second in theory, but i'm not sure how mark deals with sql queries...
  • what if you come back and that post is on the secons page and you never see it, where will "Oh yeah" come from then
  • KrakKrak New
    edited December 2007
    Well I always go through the pages till I come across discussions I have already read.

(Congrats on bringing a 2 year old post back to life.)
  • (Bringing a two year old post back to life again after another two years!)

Did anybody get anywhere with this?

Could the entire discussion be marked as unread?
  • Wow, and what are the chances that I log in today? Haven't been here in a while, see a new site, and a revived post!

Coincidence? I think not.
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    In Vanilla 2 this is super-duper easy. The user/discussion relationship is stored in the GDN_UserDiscussion table. If you want a discussion to be marked unread for a specific user, just update that table to CountComments = 0 for that UserID & DiscussionID.
  • lucluc ✭✭
    As it was super-duper easy on vanilla2, I thought I'd have a go : http://vanillaforums.org/addon/503/unreaddiscussion

But, it was not so easy for me to create the plugin :). The SQL part was, clearly, the easiest though, thanks to the info from @Mark.