Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Vanilla on Garden: Pros and Cons

hlfcodinghlfcoding New
edited August 2009 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Having had a couple days with the copy on GitHub, I'm still only at the tip of the ice berg. And despite a couple things randomly breaking, I am enthused about this great set of software and wanted to post.

Generally speaking, Vanilla is quite awesome because I think it's pretty well-written and thought-out. But here are some specific aspects I like and dislike. More likes, of course. And please correct me if a dislike is just from my lack of knowledge or experience.

--- first round

+ setting user permissions for a category. the javascript for checking the fields is really cool and thoughtful

+ how flexible it is to extend the software through events

+ the documentation's detailed explanation of the components in the framework

+ ability to combine apps into a bigger piece of software

- the documentation's lack of a map that shows how things work, like the Vanilla 1's Order of Execution section I've found the series of posts about Garden here to be more than enough.

- and that made it hard to get started with knowing where to plug things into, especially since I have little experience with Vanilla 1

- a detailed comparison between Vanilla 1 and 2, even with the aforementioned series of posts. I think this would make the transition easier.

What do you think are some pros and cons?

Comments

• MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    Thanks so much for the feedback, we really appreciate it.

The documentation needs a lot of work, and I'm going to be working on it a lot over the next few weeks. I'll definitely add your suggestions as I think they'd be really valuable.

Before VanillaForums.com and VanillaForums.org, all of my theories on how Garden could be used to build multi-application websites were just that: theories. Now that I've put them into practice, I've found a lot of cool tricks that I'd like to share. I've also run into a lot of walls and I'm working hard to finesse the code so these obstacles vanish. I'll be getting into that in the documentation as well.

As you continue to use Garden & Vanilla, please keep telling us what you think, and if you're so inclined, give us pull requests on GitHub and we'll get your changes, fixes, and suggestions implemented too (assuming they pass code review, of course :)

Further to that point, I hope anyone using Vanilla and reading this forum doesn't hold back and shares their experiences and knowledge as well. We're dedicated to making this platform awesome, and we can only do that with your help.