Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Integrating Garden ,Vanilla 2 & wordpress

edited August 2009 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I have a project to do which involves integrating the following 3 applications.

e_directory (a directory listings app)

wordpress

a forum.

Ive been looking around at various php frameworks and came across Garden & Vanilla 2. To me it looks like the one i want to use.

To get started id like to try integrating wordpress and garden so a couple of questions to get started.

where should i install wordpress in relation to garden
some more detailed pointers on where and how to create the session handshake function,

ive read theses posts

http://markosullivan.ca/garden-preview-part-x-user-registration/

http://lussumo.com/docs/doku.php?id=vanilla:integration:wordpress

cheers _dR

Comments

• Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    I wouldn't bother with the old lussumo documentation article. That was specific to Vanilla 1. Vanilla 2's session handshaking works in a totally different and new way.

There are a lot of different ways to accomplish this type of integration in Vanilla 2. But to summarize: rather than merging the two databases like we did with Vanilla 1, you instead want Vanilla to somehow get a look at the user's active WordPress session/cookie, and either (a) create a new account for the user in Vanilla or (b) authenticate them to their existing account in Vanilla.

As I said, this can be done in a number of different ways. It doesn't matter where you place the applications in relation to one another in the filesystem. It does make a difference if the two applications are on the same domain or subdomain. If they're not on the same domain or subdomain, then you're getting into some more complicated, though not impossible, territory.

The method that we've been thinking of adopting is to create a page in wordpress that simply spits out the current user's active session information. This is information like the user's wordpress id, name, and email address. Then we make Vanilla look to that page if the user doesn't have an active Vanilla session. If the page gives out active session info, Vanilla looks in it's db for matching information and either creates a new account and authenticates, or simply authenticates depending on if the user has a record yet or not.

There are some other subtleties to it, but that's the general idea we've been working on.
  • Options
    that sounds like an awesome approach @Mark! Very helpful