Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Table for Options

LincLinc Detroit Admin
edited September 2009 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I've noticed there's no "options" table in the database schema.

If I'm making an addon that has a few options in the dash, where am I supposed to store those settings? Should every addon get a new database table even if it needs nothing more than to store a few values?

Again drawing on my limited Wordpress plugin experience, there's a wp_options table with columns option_name and option_value, which is a flexible way for plugin authors to store simple things like dash settings without adding tables.

Would it be appropriate to create one in the default installation of Vanilla 2 or Garden to encourage a standard way of doing this?

Comments

• Options
    Vanilla 2 works more through storing config values in files, ie. conf/config.php file. There is the configuration manager and a few classes for changing config values.
  • Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin
    Is there any documentation on it besides what's in /library/core/class.configuration.php?
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    At a quick look no, but the best way to learn it would be to see how other apps and plugins do it.

$Config = Gdn::Factory(Gdn::AliasConfig); $Path = PATH_CONF . DS . 'config.php'; $Config->Load($Path, 'Save'); $Config->Set('Routes'.'.friends/requests', "friendslist/friends/requests"); $Config->Save($Path);

That may help you. Its some code i was using to change the config file for routes.
  • Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin
    OK, thanks for the info.
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    Now that you mention it, we should probably have a convenience function to do this...
  • Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin
    Yes please! :D
  • Options
    Aye @Mark that would be handy. It is a bit of a mess at the moment.
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    OK - I just pushed two convenience functions to master and replaced code throughout the application to use the convenience functions. They are SaveToConfig($Name, $Value), and RemoveFromConfig($Name);

Enjoy :)
  • Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin
    Thanks @Mark :)
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    Oh, they both take $Name as an associative array (optionally) if you want to save a bunch of stuff at once.