Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Most wanted addons for Vanilla 2

fmimosofmimoso
edited June 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Post here your wanted addons for Vanilla 2.

Dear Santa,
I would like to download an addon that would allow any visitor to post just like I do in any WordPress blog, a kind of auto register/login when commenting. Let me illustrate:

-> User arrives from a Google Search Engine Page to a discussion page
-> User reads the discussion and has something to say
-> Instead of "where the hell is the register button?" he'll see a form beneath the discussion with 3 fields: name, email & message
-> After writing his message, and when pressing send, Vanilla would register him as a user, logging him automatically just like WordPress does
-> Whenever he visited the site again, he would be remembered by Vanilla: "How are you today? Do you want to recall what you did last summer?"

Dear Santa, I have behaved well, done my homework and didn't curse the whole year. I hope you can grant my wish.
Thanks. :)

Comments

• I would love to have a voting-Plugin!
    Right now, I couldn't even use google- or doodle-polls because iframes don't work.
  • Allowing users to upload files / attachments would be first on my list.
  • TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    @flobster This feature already exists for our hosted customers but is not yet ready for download.

@basb That's a good idea. I've added it to my list of plugins I'll try to work on when I have spare time.

@fmimoso That's a cool feature, but there are some concerns. We'll have to think about a smart way of doing something like that. What would happen if the user tried to post with the same email, from a different computer? What about if his cookies got deleted?

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• For me, most wanted is Thankful People addon for Vanilla 2 with data import feature.
  • "Quote / Reply To" post
  • what @melatonin said.
    a way to keep admin activity out of the activity section without deleting it
  • @melatonin, @RJRiley, have you tried quote selection plgin?
  • @Tim
    -> User arrives from a Google Search Engine Page to a discussion page
    -> User reads the discussion and has something to say
    -> Instead of "where the hell is the register button?" he'll see a form beneath the discussion with 3 fields: name, email & message
    -> After writing his message, and when pressing send, Vanilla would register him as a user, logging him automatically just like WordPress does
    -> At the same time he would receive an email with a reminder to his registration and a random password
    -> Whenever he visited the site again, he would be remembered by Vanilla: "How are you today? Do you want to recall what you did last summer?"
    -> If he tried to post again later using the same email without cookies, we would keep the post in standby and send him an email with a confirmation link to post and auto logging him again. In that same email or when he reaches the confirmation page we would suggest that he should change the password to one that he could recall so that he doesn't have to go through this process again

Suggestions to your concerns are bolded. :)
  • Post & Comment Moderation add-on
  • If the @ before the username (that auto-links it to a user's profile) had auto-complete i would LOVE it
  • There was a plugin in vanilla 1 where users could pick there own themes. Be nice to have that option back.
  • It would be nice to have a Google/Twitter OAuth authentication plugin. There is no need for new users to register at all to begin with. This will lower the entry barrier for new users to get involved in a discussion.

How can I create an alternate authentication for new users in Vanilla 2? I dont know what controller method to override/implement. Any help will be appreciated.
  • It would be nice to have a Google/Twitter OAuth authentication plugin. There is no need for new users to register at all to begin with. This will lower the entry barrier for new users to get involved in a discussion.

How can I create an alternate authentication for new users in Vanilla 2? I dont know what controller method to override/implement. Any help will be appreciated.
  • edited July 2010
    Also category filter plugin will be nice ;)

It is the most wanted feature by me... It could looks like checklist next to category list. When you "checked" category posts in this category doesn't show in "All Discussions".
  • For me the big must have plugins are:

- Discussion Overview
    - Invite Only registration
    - Inline Images

:)
  • edited July 2010
    - phpbb3 to vanilla converter
    - attachments
    - display real name (like IPB)
    - mark all as read
    - show all unread (with counter)
  • One that i haven't seen mentioned, but is incredibly useful, is the Nuggets extension.
  • - phpbb2 to vanilla converter
    - attachments
    - textile
  • Not really an add-on, and somewhat minor, but very irritating to me none the less, I would like to see a "cancel" button along with the comment button on the activity list on profile pages.

Once you click to post a comment on a user's activity and the form appears, and you change your mind, there is no cancel button to make the form disappear.
  • For me :

- attachments
    - Inline Images