Vanilla 2 is now in rc3 and we've been taking feedback and fixing bugs for quite some time. We know there may still be some issues, but we feel that Vanilla 2 is close enough to do a final push of bug fixes and declare it's official release next week, most likely on 21 Jul 2010.
In order to do this we would like to get some help from the community. We would love it if as many people as possible would install the latest rc source code (not rc3) so we can find any final lingering bugs. You can always get the latest source code here: http://vanillaforums.org/download/nightly
Any/all of the following would be great:
- Try installing the latest branch of Vanilla 2 on your machine, or better yet your web host. Installation and basic bugs are the most important to fix for us. Getting Vanilla 2 to work on all the different server configs is a challenge to implement and test so your help would be great. The main things we are looking for here are: a) Does Vanilla 2 install at all? b) Can you click around your forum and add a discussion? and c) If not, what is your phpinfo() (a link would be great) and web host.
- Try importing your Vanilla 1 data into Vanilla 2. Instructions on how to do this are here: http://vanillaforums.com/porter. We are looking for show-stopping bugs here. If the posts in Vanilla 2 don't look right compared to Vanilla 1 we are also interested in that.
- Any issues should be put on our github issue tracker here: http://github.com/vanillaforums/Garden/issues.
Once Vanilla 2.0 has been released, we are looking at turning around bug fixes as quickly as possible.
If you are upgrading your Vanilla 2 code using the nightly builds, here is a quick description of steps you can take:
1. Back up your database (do a mysql_dump).
2. Back up all of your old files (everything in your Vanilla folder).
3. Sign into your forum as the admin user (this is typically the user with ID 1).
4. Delete all of the "*_map*" files from your cache folder.
5. Download the latest source from vanillaforums.org/download/nightly
6. Copy everything overtop of your old files except the following folders: cache, conf, uploads.
7. If you had any custom plugins or themes, copy them back into the appropriate folder from the backup you made in step 2.
8. Enter the following url in your browser: http://yourdomain.com/path/to/vanilla/utility/structure and run any database update scripts there by clicking the button at the bottom of the page.
Note: You need to be signed in as the admin user to do step 8, which is why step 3 is VERY important.
0 · ·