Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Vanilla 2.0 is available for download

ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
edited July 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
We are pleased to announce the availability of Vanilla 2.0

Vanilla 2.0 has been tagged on github and is available for download here. I'd like to thank everyone that helped with the extra testing over the past couple of weeks. All of us Vanilla headquarters can't tell you how much we appreciate your help and support.

About this Release

We are holding off on making a bigger public announcement on the download until we put up a redesign of http://vanillaforums.org later this week. However, we wanted to tell the community about the download today. We feel comfortable enough to remove the "release candidate" nomenclature on the code.

Importer/Exporter

We've done a lot of work on the Vanilla importer/exporter, and we'd appreciate it if the community tests it thoroughly so we can iron out any problems. You can find documentation here: http://vanillaforums.com/blog/help-topics/importing-data/

Requirements

• PHP version 5.2.0 or newer
  • MySQL version 5 or newer
  • Apache version 2 or newer

Installing

1. Unzip the package to the desired folder on your server.
  2. Create a database for Vanilla (named whatever you like).
  3. Browse to the folder in your web browser, and follow the instructions on-screen.

Troubleshooting the Vanilla 2 Installation

If you run into any issues during the installation, you may see the "Bonk" error screen. In order to get past this screen, you can remove the following line from your conf/config.php file:

$Configuration['Garden']['Errors']['MasterView'] = 'error.master.php';

This will show you a more detailed screen of information about the actual problem you've encountered. Please include this information when reporting issues (copy & paste exact errors, please).

Upgrading RC1, RC2, & RC3 Vanilla 2 Forums

1. Sign into your existing forum with the user that has UserID = 1
  2. Back up your database.
  3. Back up all of your existing files.
  4. Unarchive the new files and copy them over your existing files. Make sure that your hidden files (ie .htaccess) are copied to your server.
  5. Navigate to the page in your forum that updates your database (this will not work if you did not sign in as UserID = 1): www.yourdomain.com/path/to/vanilla/utility/structure
  6. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the button to run the update scripts.
  7. Navigate to your forum and test away!

Reporting Issues

DO NOT REPORT ISSUES ON THE COMMUNITY FORUM

Please report all issues on the GitHub Issue Tracker. Remember to do a quick search through the issues to make sure your issue has not already been added or resolved.

Comments

• HELL YEHH!
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited July 2010
    Man, I am stoked. Awesome work, guys. I couldn't be happier.

@Tim Making a note here: Huge Success.
  • NimaveliNimaveli New
    edited July 2010
    Dope! Gonna update my forum right now :D

From RC3 to this release what changes have been made?

EDIT: Someone PLEASE help me on how to update from RC3 to Vanilla 2. Cause these instructions aren't really clear enough. Exactly which files do I have to back-up? And after I've done that I just overwrite the whole Vanilla RC3 map with the Vanilla 2 map? I don't understand :(
  • Well I tried updateing from RC3 to final but, can't find

/vanilla/utility/structure
  • Congrats on the release guys! Been a while since I've taken a look at things, I'll definitely be checking it out soon.
  • Thank you very much! Good job!
  • ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    @rayk, it's just /utility/structure. I guess path/to/vanilla is a touch confusing, but it just means the folder you installed vanilla in.
    @Nimaveli, From RC3 to release are mainly just bug fixes. To explain the backup:

Database Backup: You should backup your database using someting like mysql_dump. If you are on a web host then they most likely have phpMyAdmin which has a backup option.

File Backup: Just copy all of the files in your directory to some place on your local computer using ftp. This is just a "just in case" thing to do.

You want to copy all of the files in the download over your existing RC3 installation, like you said. There is one file you want to make sure you keep: /conf/config.php.

Hope this helps!
  • @Todd This sounds great! Will the redesigned theme be available to the public for download as well?

I tried using the importer on RC3 on a large vb forum and it threw up an error on the users table. I think it had to do with the symbol ' in usernames. I will try again with 2.0.
  • I LIKE IT!
    thx a lot guys, you are awesome!
  • NimaveliNimaveli New
    edited July 2010
    I couldn't do the import thing so I just did a clean install lol. It's way to complicated for me xD I hadn't published the site anyway so I only had 8 members(were mostly friends who were checking it out) so no biggie.
    @sammyman, I'll look into that issue. Was the error in the import or export?
    @jad, did you do an import? If so you need to set up your permissions so people can see everything. There was a message after the import was completed that said this.
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    It's the next day and I'm still geeking out. image
  • I've been busy this whole day completely customizing the theme and it's working great! Not just adding a theme, but the forum itself as well. It's VERY intuitive and I am very happy. Thank you all for this great release and a absolutely fine job indeed.
  • @Todd this was during the import to a clean install of Vanilla. It was just a test site to see what my big forum would look like Vanillaized.
  • Great job Vanilla! :)
  • raykrayk New
    edited July 2010
    Awesome, a new update! Now... when will this attachments plugin come out and pagination! ;)
  • RaizeRaize vancouver ✭✭
    edited July 2010
    @Todd There is no utility folder?