Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

User Wall

Comments

• oh haha, duh. yeah it works perfectly! i like your modifications.

Edit: Oh wait.. I'm not getting any links to the next page.
  • @Neverender, you should get the pagination links, UserWall is set to show 5 comments per page, so try having 6 comments. Another thing is are you using friendly-urls, if so you need to make a modification to the .htaccess file as mentioned previously for the links to work properly.

I've been using my own version and what i've uploaded is the same copy so things should work, hopefully the brainstorm have helped. However if not, i'm actually going through my exams currently and will probably be free again in about 3 weeks. And i will pick up where i left off again and see if any other modifications can be made using input from people, i have further modifications i'd like to make but i won't list them yet at this time. Plus i've already made more modifications than mentioned previously so :) hehe.

So yeah hopefully i'll see more input and you guys in a coupla weeks. Thanks Neverender for doing some testing :). And i might steal your hyperlink to check it out if it is still not working properly when i come back.
  • I had to manually create the SQL table but, once I did that, it seems to be working fine. I'd like some modifications myself, so I'll look through the code in the next few days to see what you've done exactly. If I make any mods, I'll be sure to post them.
  • hehe well what do you know... i came on to check one last time before forgetting about this website and i see a definite problem. And i went back and checked my code... yup it was my fault. i forgot to include 1 line in the package i uploaded. Hehe well i've uploaded the fixed package to the previous post.
    Thanks sokabs and you can list the wanted modifications you were thinking off, chances are i've got them on the drawing board for when i'm free again in a coupla weeks.
  • vanoob, thanks for the help. i looked at it again today and realized it was actually a problem with my theme. works great now, thanks.

Oh, yeah, i had to manually create the table as well. i just figured i did something wrong. Glad to hear it wasn't my fault. :)
  • this one does not work with multiple databases

T_T

can u fix it?
  • Right so i've been back and done a lil more work on the wall extension and also played around with the Friends extension to compliment the wall. :)

I've fixed up some aesthetic issues with the wall, and also added in a role permission to be a master moderator for the wall. Will always show edit, delete. I know you say in b8 it does that anyway, i just later changed it to someone can only edit their own comment, but wall owners can delete all. Oh also i've added it so that usericons will be showed in wall. Unfortunately i still don't know how to add the feature to show formatted text.

And as for the Friends extension well... man i've revamped that alot too. It doesn't clash with members extension anymore Changed major aesthetics. Added pagination, new friends reporting, ability to reorder the table, able to remove friends etc. just check it out and tell me.

Friends 2.0 Beta due to data loss, recovering files.

I've also made an extension to reset a users password and require a couple of people to test it before i release that extension.

Password Reset 0.2, search for it in the addons page

So please have fun enjoy the modifications and report back or give me the thumbs up to release the password reset extension.
  • you're da man
  • Hmm, just installed the latest User Wall 1.0 Beta 9 and am getting:

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_OBJECT_OPERATOR in /public_html/extensions/UserWall/default.php on line 259

on every page.
  • umm hmm i had a problem like that too but then i got a link to the newest version of it and it got solved
  • okay i'm a lil confused... i did change the code around line 259, but which version did either you Hamed or mis-one used. I have altered all the links to the extension on both post to the latest one, so please try redownloading the files again and reinstalling it and tell me if it repeats itself.
    Also for all who downloaded my Friends extension, i just realized i forgot to get the extension to set a default member number to show the page so errors should come up, so you just need to open up the settings page and set it and it should work fine. I'll upload the fixed extension soon under the same release, so you can have a fixed copy :)
  • Should be a different release number, to be proper and have good karma and all that!
  • For the record, I didn't get any errors with 1.0 Beta 9...
  • haha... It is a different release number, i edited the previous original post from beta 8 to beta 9 :) And are you getting the error like mis-one as well wanderer?
  • Great extension vanoob, I haven't upgraded to the new beta as I just installed the previous one and it's working fine. Much appreciated. One idea I had though; is it possible to build in (or on the side) user notification for when someone leaves a comment on their Wall, like with Whisper Notification?
  • Unlike the wall, whisper notification uses the commenting system which implements a 2 layer scheme, the first layer list the titles, while the second layer list the guts (comments etc). Now how that notification works is when you access the second layer, it registers in the database that the topic has been now read by you.

With the User Wall however, because it is a single layer system, the definitive of a comment being read is difficult to achieve as all the guts are displayed on the account page. There is a way however if a new table is made which stores the viewing of the accounts page retrospective to the time of the latest wall post to the time that an account is active.

However as i am not sure exactly how the last active time of a user is actually determined i can at this time not figure out how to implement the notification system properly. Another thing i can't figure out at this stage is how to be able to allow html or bbcode text formatting to occur. If anybody has any ideas please inform me :)
  • Hi there, thanks for the update. I'd just like to know what this means 'Hide set role permission for Wall reminder.' Also, is there a way to set the permission to 'allow wall prefferences' for all by default? is it: $Context->Configuration['PERMISSION_USER_WALL_COMMENT'] = '1'; or is that something totally different? Thanks again - Vaz edit: also just tried out friends. enabled it, went to a mates profile. click 'add as friend'. button changed, clicked 'for sure?' and then the following came up: Fatal error: Call to undefined function redirect() in /home/.pilar/xxxxx/xxxxxxx.com/forums/extensions/Friends/default.php on line 180
  • Yes you are correct Vaz about the user wall preferences for all by default. However i would not recommend it as that would allow unauthorized roles, people who are not members to be able to comment on user walls. Therefore i would recommend changing the role permissions using the roles & permissions manager.

As for the friends extension, i have tried to replicate the error you have received, however i could not, therefore it might be a php version problem. In that case... you can replace line 180 with
    header("Location: ". str_replace("&", "&", $Url ));

I hope that answers your problems.
    Furthermore please post the information in their relevant discussion headings.

Thanks
    In lieu of the recent errors observed from Redirect(), i will revert the extentions to using header() once more. Uploaded packages will contain the same extension version with a different packaged date.
  • Hi there Vonoob, I changed the 0 to 1 but it didnt seem to have changed anything. Also could you please explain what 'Hide set role permission for Wall reminder' means? Kind regards, Vaz
  • @Vaz, okay as i've mentioned before, User Wall has a 2 level system, the first level being if the admin of the forum has given each role the ability to comment on a wall. The other level is at a more personal level where the user themselves allow someone else who already has been granted "commenting ability" by the admin to write on the users wall.

So by changing 0 to 1, you have granted everybody including unauthorized (not logged on people) to comment on any users wall, so the next step is to set the personal permissions of a user to allow others to write on their wall.
    And as i have mentioned in my previous post, i still recommend changing the individual roles to allow them to comment than changing the permission in the source code to 1. If however you still feel inclined to do so, if you examine the line above the permission line, you will see there is a duplicate code with slight differences, uncomment that line and comment the line that is = to 0, I'm not sure how this exactly works, but when i was testing it tentatively, somehow unauthorized roles can't comment.

Okay now next step is to set all user accounts to automatically allow other people to comment on their wall to do this,
    find line 94 or
    $PreferencesForm->AddPreference('UserWall', 'Pref_TurnOnUserWall_Text', 'TurnOnUserWall', 0);
    And replace with
    $PreferencesForm->AddPreference('UserWall', 'Pref_TurnOnUserWall_Text', 'TurnOnUserWall', 1);
    This method however still allow a person to turn off their wall so others can't write on them.

And as for Hide set role permissions for wall reminder is, well i'd thought that would be self explanatory. Well that is a toggle for a person who has the ability to change roles and manage extensions and all it does is it removes a reminder showing on the index page reminding them to set the role permissions for commenting on a user wall.
This discussion has been closed.