Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

GoogleMapDirectory

Comments

• Oh, I thought I only needed one API key from Google to activate the add-on. I need multiples?
  • The api key is based upon url. So the WP url is different from the Vanilla url.
  • So which one would I use on this page of mine: http://stirbinatorlabs.com/wordpress/?page_id=22 ? I have my Forum in an iframe on my WP page so I'm not sure which URL to capture for google. I've tried inputting a few into the google maps API generator with the same results: stirbinatorlabs.com stirbinatorlabs.com/wordpress stirbinatorlabs.com/wordpress/Vanilla-1.1.2 These all give me the error that "The Google Maps API key used on this web site was registered for a different web site. You can generate a new key for this web site at http://www.google.com/apis/maps/." Have any suggestions on the URL I should use? In the default.php, am I putting the API key in the correct place? // THESE ARE YOUR BASIC SETTINGS AddConfigurationSetting($Context, 'GOOGLEMAPDIRECTORY_TABPOSITION','25'); AddConfigurationSetting($Context, 'GOOGLEMAPDIRECTORY_TABNAME','GoogleMapDirectory'); AddConfigurationSetting($Context, 'GOOGLEMAPDIRECTORY_KEY','I paste the API key here'); AddConfigurationSetting($Context, 'GOOGLEMAPDIRECTORY_CATEGORIES','General,Restaurant,Shop'); AddConfigurationSetting($Context, 'GOOGLEMAPDIRECTORY_HEIGHT','300'); Thanks for looking!
  • What's different between your setup and mine is the location of the applications:

jwurster.us/wordpress
    jwurster.us/Vanilla.1

This setup seems to work for me.
  • I see, so maybe I'll keep a lookout for more updates on this thing, but for the meantime it seems that I won't be able to use this awesome plug-in. Here's for hoping though! Thanks for the help, Jim!
  • Cool, I was about to code my own standalone version of this sort of thing, but this is even better. Just downloaded it, lets hope it all works :D
  • OK, maybe I'm going back to coding my own, with the Google Maps 2 AJAX API. This was a really good idea, just not a very reliable implementation...
  • So It seems this plugin does not work with friendly url and the new version of vanilla, any plan on releasing a new version, I thought it was just me but the things that I found not to work were: 1. adding location (friendly url doesnt like it) 2. the little up and down zoom things do not appear 3. and adding a location doesn't append to the map This is such an amazing extension thanks for all your work so far!
  • anyone have any luck getting to this to work?
  • I have it working with the new version but I don't use friendly urls and I am using version 0.3.
  • Gotcha , Thanks Jimw for the info, guess I'll just have to wait it out. What are you using yours for?
  • I use it to identify where family and friends live.
  • Does anyone know of a way to link to a specific pinpoint from another page or discussion (i.e. not by clicking on the links at the bottom of the map page)? Is it possible to go to the map page and select a pinpoint all with one click?
  • Yes, you can do that. I made a myfriends page with a pull-down menu using some information I found about google maps.
  • Thanks jimw, but that's not exactly what I would like. Say your dropdown was on another page - like within a discussion - is there a way to get it to load the map page, then pinpoint the location all at once?
  • Great example jimw I might "imitate" that script since that's the best form of flattery?
  • @skube, first it's not my script. It is one of the examples I found on Google in the mapping area. You want to be able to generate some geo data when someone clicks on a link in a discussion and then pass that to the Google Map page so that the map will be generated with your location. Making that kind of add-on is beyond my skills at this point.

@Wanderer, thanks.
  • I might come back and take another look at this c.February. I realise its not a perfect implementation but I put it out to the community hoping for someone to help develop it. Seems its just annoyed people when it hasn't work first time. I'll start with Friendly URL's, as I suspect that may be causing a lot of the fundamental issues of not storing markers? Then hopefully move onto ironing out the RoleID error. I detect a few on this thread are far better coders than me, any tips or links that might cover where these areas are going wrong, please do enlighten me.
  • Thanks Davidk as I'm not a coder I plan on helping you test
  • Version number changed from 0.4 to 0.5.