Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Vanilla ProxyConnect

Comments

• I fixed the "administer" portion of my question by manual sql inserts on GDN_User and GDN_UserRole.

I copied the settings from the original admin user setup with vanilla.
  • nevermind .. I figured out question 1 also.

The admin I set up for vanilla (TerminalAddict) and the admin I set up for wordpress (TerminalAddict) were clashing .. I renamed the one to "van-admin" . .and now everything works ...

Now to start fiddling around with the views, and the theme
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    Hi Guys - Sorry I haven't had any time to help you out with this lately. I'm traveling all over for Vanilla at the moment. I'll be back in the office early next week and be able to devote some real time to helping with issues here.
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    As I understand it, this lets you log into Vanilla from Wordpress? What about vice-versa? e.g. what if I have my members in Vanilla but want to authenticate them in Wordpress as well?
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    @Lincoln - The onus would be on wordpress to make that integration happen as it would need to handle merging accounts and merged account management.
  • I'm getting "Object of class Gdn_Validation could not be converted to string".
  • Never mind about the last error. It seems that I was using the dev branch instead of the master branch.
  • My Vanilla install is on a server in a subdirectory under the WordPress one. I can't login. It just redirects me back to the WP login page like flobster.
  • Actually I realized that my problem is different. Sorry for quad-posting but the browser error is "Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete." after I click the signin button on WordPress.

• First things first, fantastic software, really digging the look and feel. I managed to get this addon working for logins, it checks the authentication url and logs in the correct user, but I modified the logout link to log the user out of my integrated system, and then when you navigate back to the forums, the user is still logged in. And furthermore, if you log into the integrated system as another user, and then navigate to Vanilla, you're still logged in as the previous user, even though the authentication url displays the new user's information. Any ideas? What am I doing wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    Hmmm. That's an interesting one. I remember having that same problem with wordpress (ie. not signing you out of Vanilla when you sign out of your app). I think I may have forgotten to document the step of destroying Vanilla's cookie when your session dies?
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    Err - I mean, destroying Vanilla's cookie when you destroy yours, not when your session "dies".
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    And furthermore, if you log into the integrated system as another user, and then navigate to Vanilla, you're still logged in as the previous user, even though the authentication url displays the new user's information.
    Vanilla doesn't go back to the authenticate url after it's session is created - it just keeps assuming it is correct. It will start functioning properly once you get Vanilla's sessions killed when you log out of your system. Take a look at the wordpress plugin to see where we destroy vanilla's cookies through wordpress.
  • Mark, do you know why whenever I login to WordPress, it just creates the "Vanilla" cookie over and over again and the browser stops itself from redirecting many times?
  • I tried getting this to work with Wordpress 2.8.5. Everything seemed to go well, but when I tried to login it would just go back to the login page and never anywhere else (if I manually went to the forums, I was still not logged in, and can't get into the Wordpress control panel).

TerminalAddict, what did you do to get yours to work?
  • Hey, I'm missing something really basic. How do i install the plugin to Vanilla? I don't see anything in the GUI, uploading the wordpress-vanilla-sso directory to the /plugins dir yields no new plugins nor does uploading the vanilla-sso.php to the /plugins dir.
    Help Help?
  • naymind ^ dumb
  • I'm also missing something really basic (or having a wierd issue). Do we upload the entire folder that we download for this plugin, into the vanilla extensions folder? or only a few of the internal files? I realize that the wordpress files that are within the inside folder go onto wordpress, but no matter which way I upload these files into my forum extensions folder, I cannot get it to show up in my list of extensions to activate.

any ideas?
  • I'm having the same problem as Mushu, samanime, and ThermalAddict.

I did the integration... everything went smooth... but when I try to log in through WP it sends be right back to the login screen like nothing happened.

Using: WP 2.9, Vanilla 2, and Chrome.
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    @ashrad - it sounds like you're using Vanilla 1. This plugin is for Vanilla 2.

@Shady, @Mushu, @samanime, @TerminalAddict - Try deleting your cookies for that domain and trying again. If that doesn't work, then it would take more debugging to figure out what's going on. Is there anything unusual about your setups? Strange domains or subdomains?