Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter
Support for Vanilla Forums Cloud product

In this Discussion

Follow Us

[Vanilla 2] How to make translation work : my solution !

ArachnosArachnos New
edited July 2010 in Localization
In trying to make a french translation of Vanilla/Garden (still in work, but I will share it when it's done), and after having found help on this forum, I've made my own solution that is below :

1. Download and install Undefined Translation Collector

2. Enable it in the Plugins section of the Dashboard

3. Browse a maximum of pages in the conversations, discussions, and Dashboard

4. Go to the folder "plugins/TranslationCollector" and copy/paste the ApplicationName.php files into /applications/ApplicationName/locale/fr-FR/ and rename each file definitions.php

Don't forget to change "/fr-FR/" to your language like "/lang-COUNTRY/"

5. Translate each file

6. Add this lines in conf/config.php :

$Configuration['Garden']['Locale'] = 'fr-FR';

7. Delete library_mappings.php in /cache/ directory

8. Reload your community / forum and it's working fine !!!!

Sorry for this long explanation, but I think that is detailed enough ;-)

I hope this would help someone ;-)

Bests,
Arachnos

Comments

• That's interesting. I was wondering why the separate locale folders do not work for translations yet.
  • SS
    edited July 2010
    Item 7. Dont do this!
    Just delete your library_mappings.php in your /cache/ directory.
    Garden will rescan your folder structure and add all locale files for all applications and plugins.
  • edited July 2010
    Awesome. I've managed to translate Vanilla 2 into Norwegian in half a day thanks to this post.

Only a couple of things didn't get picked up by the Undefined Translation Collector:
    - The "Sign In →" button in the popup box (probably caused by the arrow sign which is hard coded)
    - Same with Search results text like "↳ No results for..."
    - A lot of secondary stuff on the Recent Activity page (the lines in grey)
    - The "Options" left panel header on the user profile page
    - And checkboxes in the Signature options popup on the same page

Anyone know why, and how I can add translations for these?

Another thing: in Norwegian, Search = Søk, which I encode to Søk. It works on text, buttons, etc, but not in the search field, where it shows up character for character: "Søk". Any ideas for what I can do to make the search form accept HTML character entities?
  • ArachnosArachnos New
    edited July 2010
    Thanks to S (the creator of Undefined Translation Collector) : it has been changed ;-)

@fredrikstai : I've too some problems like digits in "Enabled" / "Disabled" tabs, if you have some solution… It could be cool

Don't use ISO, use UTF-8 : it is better (and in French it prevent from having to code each accent, I think in Norwegian too like the "crossed o").
  • ArachnosArachnos New
    edited July 2010
    In order to translate recaptcha, add this line at the line 2 (just after "<?php if (!defined('APPLICATION')) exit(); ?>") of /applications/dashboard/views/entry/registercaptcha.php :
    <script type= "text/javascript">var RecaptchaOptions = {
    lang : 'fr'
    };
    </script>N.B. : replace 'fr' by you lang code (see http://www.google.com/recaptcha/apidocs/captcha/client)
  • thnx for sharing usefull info ++
  • phreakphreak VanillaSkins.com - #1 Themeshop for Vanilla ✭✭✭
    Thanx to Arachnos for this information, but i hope we get a steady "used terms list" as soon as possible.

http://www.VanillaSkins.com - Great Themes For Just $15! :: Also check: Businessdads Plugins

• work in progress, I think it will be available at the end of this week (before going on holiday ;-)
  • Cool merci ;)
  • "Sorry for this long explanation, but I think that is detailed enough ;-)"

Feel free to make it even longer! :)
  • ArachnosArachnos New
    edited August 2010
    @fredrikstai : When you need to translate some special characters like "→"", search the source code for the equivalent in ISO-8859-1, and you can find "→" for "→" or copy the arrow if it is in UTF-8.

I don't know what's the ISO code for "↳"

------------------
    If someone found the solution to translate counter digits in the Dashboard or in front office like "Enabled [digit]", share the solution with the community ;-)
  • The French translation is delayed for the moment. I prefer to focus my work on the major part of the website I'm working on, before work again on the forum.