Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Mybb to Vanilla

Impossible or not? I'm not good at converting databases as I usually end up failing every time. But, I want to know how hard it would be. I just want basically the user table converted. I don't care that much about the posts or stats. After I post this I'm going to look at the SQL to see how similar the database layout is if at all similar.

Comments

• does anyone know? :)
  • Would really be interested to convert an existing mybb forum to the new Vanilla. So, bumping this in hopes someone with knowledge in that sort of thing could bring this to life.
  • My Forum used to be MyBB and I converted it to Vanilla don't think it would be to hard for someone to release a plugin/script for this
  • @Snook_ I'd like to know more, if you could.

Forum conversion plugins are essential, especially if Vanilla is to become popular.

Plus I am cooking up another plugin Idea that this would be useful for...
  • Okay, I'll write out how I did it/plugin wise and send it over for you to look at :)
  • Testing myBB conversion now :)
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    FYI - @Todd wrote the Vanilla importer/exporter. So far he's written exporters for vBulletin and phpBB. You should be @mentioning him to see what it takes to get a myBB exporter going :D
  • ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    The hardest part of forum conversion is getting the password hash to work. Right now we put the different password hashing algorithms in the core.

@Snook_ are you using Vanilla's exporter object?
  • @Todd Ya

Testing so far works good, I've been able to convert everything over from a myBB install users / post and such just have a few bugs to work out so I'll probly release a beta for this after the next stable release of Vanilla. Since this conversion still has some bugs to work out Todd mind if i send you it later this evening (Funeral/Vistation) to go to but after that to see whats up with where i might be going wrong and/or needing to change some things :)
  • ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    That sounds great. If you haven't already, I recommend forking the porter and telling me your github username so we can work on stuff together.
  • I haven't done this yet, but I think you should just convert your mybb forum to phpbb first, then convert it to vanilla using the export tool
  • So is this possible yet?
  • Yes that's already possible, I've converted my MyBB Forum to Vanilla a few days ago, I asked gConverter team, very cheap, fast and I think this is the only and most professional way to do this conversion.
  • g converter is too high....75$ !!! omg,is there any other way
  • As far as I know there isn't any free way, I tried post a project on the freelancer.com but $130 was the minimum bid suggested by some Indian developer to convert Mybb to Vanilla conversion. I think this is not a high cost for this kind of service.
  • vDenisvDenis New
    edited November 2011
    Thanks a lot Cooper!
    Yea! I have a sweet Vanilla forum now ;) , I contacted with gConverter.com team, they converted my old Drupal Forum to Vanilla, I thought they only do MyBB to Vanilla conversion, but not, they convert from all available forum boards to Vanilla, only three words professional, fast and cheap service!
  • @Snook_> Snook_ said:

@Todd Ya

Testing so far works good, I've been able to convert everything over from a myBB install users / post and such just have a few bugs to work out so I'll probly release a beta for this after the next stable release of Vanilla. Since this conversion still has some bugs to work out Todd mind if i send you it later this evening (Funeral/Vistation) to go to but after that to see whats up with where i might be going wrong and/or needing to change some things :)

Can I grab a copy of that converter from you? I have been going insane for the past week trying to get myBB to convert to phpBB3 (...successfully) and then from there to Vanilla. If this converter actually works you will be god. :D The end result is supposed to be a migration of http://almost-there.org/forums (currently the ever horrible myBB) to Vanilla. Any and all help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Wymoree