Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Installing Vanilla Forums 2.0.3 on a server for free?

edited August 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Where would I be able to find a free PHP PDO server that is free to host Vanilla Forum?

Comments

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    You should probably check out the free plan on http://vanillaforums.com/

I recommend against free independent hosting plans. You get what you pay for.
  • I'v actually found that LimeDomains.com works excellent for vanilla forms. I'm running my forum right now on it for free. Hard to find PHP PDO, and LimeDomains.com solves that problem.
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    There is a difference between a car that starts and a car that you'd take on a road trip.
  • Are you saying I shouldn't be hosting this way?
  • TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    500MB of traffic... I hope you don't plan to have very many users. I use more than than on my cellphone each month :(

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• @Tomtom100; Just for reference, I tried three free hosting services over a year ago. All promised great free services, all installed ok, all ran like a one legged dog after a few days or so. I suspect you get some CPU priority for perhaps a week, and then are relegated to space on the Commodore 64 network in the back room. I didn't even bother to record their names and URLs they were so bad. A small monthly fee will get you decent service and bandwidth if you shop carefully.
  • @Mikhael So I might problems in the future with these free hosts? I actually used to run a web app I built that stored images and I haven't had any problems with cpu and storage. I find that some hosts like 000webhost , x10host, and LimeDomains offer premium like services. I've been very convinced over the years not to buy hosting service because I've had such a great experience for free.