Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Vanilla 2.0.3 released

TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
edited August 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Vanilla 2.0.3 has been released and uploaded.

This is primarily a bugfix release that takes care of some issues reported with v2.0.2.

Troubleshooting the Vanilla 2 Installation

If you run into any issues during the installation, you may see the "Bonk" error screen. In order to get past this screen, you can remove the following line from your conf/config.php file:

$Configuration['Garden']['Errors']['MasterView'] = 'error.master.php';

This will show you a more detailed screen of information about the actual problem you've encountered. Please include this information when reporting issues (copy & paste exact errors, please).

Upgrading Vanilla 2.0 Forums

1. Sign into your existing forum with the user that has UserID = 1
  2. Back up your database.
  3. Back up all of your existing files.
  4. Unarchive the new files and copy them over your existing files. Make sure that your hidden files (ie .htaccess) are copied to your server.
  5. Make sure the conf/config.php from your old version has been copied over to the new version.
  6. Navigate to the page in your forum that updates your database (this will not work if you did not sign in as UserID = 1): www.yourdomain.com/path/to/vanilla/utility/structure
  7. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the button to run the update scripts.
  8. Navigate to your forum and test away!

Reporting Issues

DO NOT REPORT ISSUES ON THE COMMUNITY FORUM

Please report all issues on the GitHub Issue Tracker. Remember to do a quick search through the issues to make sure your issue has not already been added or resolved.

See the add on page for additional instructions.

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

Tagged:

Comments

• I was not quite sure if it's worth filing an issue, but in the current version, the 'cache' folder is missing which might cause some trouble during the installation process.
  • TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    Already fixed, not sure what caused that to disappear.

• @tim do you still need PDO_enabled?
  • phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP
    Upgrade from 2.0.1 directly to 2.0.3 is ok, or are there any database changes that need to be "utility/structured/" ;) by the 2.0.2 release.

Thanx for info
    p*
    • VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
  • I´ve got big error from updating 2.01 to 2.03:

Smarty error: the $compile_dir '/homepages/36/d112833829/htdocs/club/eburg-forum/cache/Smarty/compile' does not exist, or is not a directory.
    The error occurred on or near: /homepages/36/d112833829/htdocs/club/eburg-forum/library/vendors/Smarty-2.6.25/libs/Smarty.class.php
    1109: * @param integer $error_type
    1110: */
    1111: function trigger_error($error_msg, $error_type = E_USER_WARNING)
    1112: {
    1113: trigger_error("Smarty error: $error_msg", $error_type);
    1114: }
    1115:
    1116:
    1117: /**
    Backtrace:
    /homepages/36/d112833829/htdocs/club/eburg-forum/library/vendors/Smarty-2.6.25/libs/Smarty.class.phpPHP::Gdn_ErrorHandler();
    [/homepages/36/d112833829/htdocs/club/eburg-forum/library/vendors/Smarty-2.6.25/libs/Smarty.class.php:1113] PHP::trigger_error();
    [/homepages/36/d112833829/htdocs/club/eburg-forum/library/vendors/Smarty-2.6.25/libs/internals/core.write_compiled_resource.php:20] Smarty->trigger_error();
    [/homepages/36/d112833829/htdocs/club/eburg-forum/library/vendors/Smarty-2.6.25/libs/Smarty.class.php:1451] PHP::smarty_core_write_compiled_resource();
    [/homepages/36/d112833829/htdocs/club/eburg-forum/library/vendors/Smarty-2.6.25/libs/Smarty.class.php:1274] Smarty->_compile_resource();
    [/homepages/36/d112833829/htdocs/club/eburg-forum/library/vendors/Smarty-2.6.25/libs/Smarty.class.php:1126] Smarty->fetch();
    [/homepages/36/d112833829/htdocs/club/eburg-forum/library/core/class.smarty.php:82] Smarty->display();
    [/homepages/36/d112833829/htdocs/club/eburg-forum/library/core/class.controller.php:1220] Gdn_Smarty->Render();
    [/homepages/36/d112833829/htdocs/club/eburg-forum/library/core/class.controller.php:965] Gdn_Controller->RenderMaster();
    [/homepages/36/d112833829/htdocs/club/eburg-forum/library/core/class.pluggable.php:188] Gdn_Controller->xRender();
    [/homepages/36/d112833829/htdocs/club/eburg-forum/applications/vanilla/controllers/class.discussionscontroller.php:84] Gdn_Pluggable->__call();
    [/homepages/36/d112833829/htdocs/club/eburg-forum/applications/vanilla/controllers/class.discussionscontroller.php:84] DiscussionsController->Render();
    [/homepages/36/d112833829/htdocs/club/eburg-forum/library/core/class.dispatcher.php:270] DiscussionsController->Index();
    [/homepages/36/d112833829/htdocs/club/eburg-forum/index.php:38] Gdn_Dispatcher->Dispatch();
    Variables in local scope:
    [error_msg] 'the $compile_dir \'/homepages/36/d112833829/htdocs/club/eburg-forum/cache/Smarty/compile\' does not exist, or is not a directory.'
    [error_type] 256
    @Boombatze delete the contents of your cache/ folder, and make sure that it is still fully writable by the web server process.

@phreak there shouldn't be any serious db changes, but one or two may have been necessary. either way, running utility/structure is safe even when there is nothing to be done.

@kaos Vanilla will continue to be built using PDO for database access, and if we decide to change that it wont be in a minor point release.

• @Tim

Any plans in the future to allow us to track applications or plugins for new updates?

It would be great if I could star Vanilla. http://vanillaforums.org/addon/465/vanilla
  • Any chance that you could have a release i mean PDO isnt essential, otherwise alot of other companies would use it surely. Otherwise can you start allowing domains to be hosted on vanillaforums.com ?
    @kaos
    PDO: No
    You can already have a custom domain on vanillaforums.com

@brant That's a good idea, but we have no plans for it right now.

• The AddString bug has persisted for the last few releases: http://github.com/vanillaforums/Garden/issuesearch?state=open&q=AddString#issue/521
  • Any idea when to expect 2.0.4?

2.0.3 seems to still be very buggy.
  • edited August 2010
    i don't get those 2 points sorry
    • Navigate to the page in your forum that updates your database (this will not work if you did not sign in as UserID = 1): www.yourdomain.com/path/to/vanilla/utility/structure
    • Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the button to run the update scripts.
    I'm trying to update from 2.0.1 to 2.0.3 and I see no button at the bottom of.. which page?

EDIT : ok in my local environnement the path was : index.php?p=/utility/structure
  • Is there a place to report bugs? I'm hesitant to start a new topic that's not really a support issue.
    Read the first post :p

• Doh, sorry.