Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

AdSense 1.5

ithcyithcy New
edited September 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I just uploaded a new AdSense plugin. I don't have an AdSense account, so I could use feedback or suggestions from people who do, who would like to try this plugin out. As far as I know, it should work.

Tagged:

Comments

• RaizeRaize vancouver ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Thanks for this Ithcy, it's really well done. I'm testing it out right now, and the placeholder for the ad slot is being created in the proper spot, but it isn't being filled with ads. Here is the code for comparison:

adsense code from google:
    removed

code generated by plugin:
    removed

The only difference seems to be the google_ad_slot value. I'm also unsure if I should be including "pub-" in front of my adsense id in the plugin settings.

* i removed the google adsense code for security reasons, message me if you need to see it for anything
  • That is the exact code you want to add, right? Hmm.. maybe I need to ad the google_ad_slot variable? I'll do that in a bit.
  • Just tried it using the pub bit also and it works beautifully!! I would have liked it centred if possible but that is a small cosmetic issue :) Very easy to set up thank you
  • ithcyithcy New
    edited September 2010
    Great :)
    Try the new version 1.2, I added ad_slot and centered ads settings.
  • and yes, you should include pub- in the settings. in the future i'll clarify that on the settings page.
  • v1.3 uploaded. fixed to show ads even when user isn't logged in, show color pickers when clicking on color samples.

i could use some advice from someone who knows what google's various format strings mean. ("468x60_as", etc.)
    Wow!!! It works absolutely flawlessly... so simple and well done. I have a feeling these ads are going to convert very nicely compared to most other options. Thanks man :)
    What do you need to know about the format strings?
  • Thank you!
  • Just what are the various type codes like _as ... there are several of them. I think they specify text/image /video /flash etc. It's obvious what the 468x60 part means but I can't find a reference for the _as part.
    edited September 2010
    _as is just a generic suffix that gets added on to the dimensions of the ad (i think it stands for "adsense")

when you create a new ad, you get to choose between "text only," "image only," and "text and image"(default). the dimensions then indicate how big the ad block is

here's some more info: http://www.hooverwebdesign.com/articles/old-google-adsense-codes.html
  • Thanks, I looked at that page when I was making the plugin. I think there's more to it than that though, because there are other suffixes like _0ads_al_s , which I think is for a link unit.

I'll do some more searching.
  • Could someone with an AdSense account go to their setup page on google and paste the code they give you for the different formats here?

• v1.5 uploaded, fixes link unit format and adds some 728-wide format options
    hmm i haven't seen those other suffixes i'll take a look though
  • cant add the code here as it gets stripped, sorry
  • @1stAngel just put it in between <code></code> tags, that should work. Thanks!
  • I uploaded the plugin to my file manager in the same style/format the zip file here is. It allows me to enable the plugin but when I click "settings" it kicks me back to main dashboard. Help? Im a total newb.
  • Hi @ithcy,

Is the addon still good to use? Thanks.

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

@mauwiks said:
    Hi @ithcy,

Is the addon still good to use? Thanks.

You can use the Pockets plugin for that.