Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Sitemaps: Not sure if it works

phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP
edited August 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Hi all,

I'm using Sitemaps but i'm not sure that it works. I installed and enabled the plugin, but no sitemap.index.xml file gets created in my Vanilla root.

Maybe i have some wrong folder rights or something, can anybody tell me what else is to do to make it work?

Thanx
p*
  • VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
  • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla

Comments

• TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    Have you created a discussion since installing the addon? Additionally, the sitemap.index.xml gets created in the /cache/Sitemaps/ folder, not the vanilla root.

You can still access the file via http://www.yourdomain/path/to/vanilla/sitemap.index.xml though, because I hooked into the request chain, and when a sitemap.*.xml file is requested and exists, I pipe the file's contents from its cache folder into the output.

If the file is being generated in /cache/Sitemaps/, you're all set.

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP
    Hi Tim,

Nothing in my case. Sitemaps enabled, Cache CHMOD 777 but ~/cache/Sitemaps doesn't exist nor is the sitemap.index.xml possible to call. Vanilla 2.0.3

$Configuration['EnabledPlugins']['Sitemaps'] = 'Sitemaps';
    ... in the config.php. So it is definitly working somehow

What could it be?
    • VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    what about $Configuration['Plugins']['Sitemaps']['Enabled'] ?

This is a button on the dashboard menu called "Sitemaps" with a single toggle button inside. Have you pressed it?

Hi Tim,

Yes, Sitemaps is enabled in the dashboard. I sometimes just check the config.php and i thought > $Configuration['Plugins']['Sitemaps']['Enabled'] is the line to ensure that "enabling" has been written to the config-file.

So Sitemaps is enabled but no xml on my server under 2.0.3, any idea. Anyone else who made it working?
  • It's not working for me either.
  • I am on 2.0.6 and have a similar problem. I've installed and enabled this plugin and I have started a new discussion but no sitemap is created nor is there a cache/sitemaps/ folder.
  • Yeah, latest Vanilla version, and still isn't working.
    I'm going to release a new version of Sitemaps soon.

• any update to this coming ? bit disappointing that vanilla 2.0 doesnt have an inbuilt sitemap feature .... this is really a critical feature of modern sites ?

@Tim - thx for the great work on this. any ideas of ETA ?
    When I get a chance. Hopefully this week. Working on SSO right now.

• anything happening yet ? :P
  • Hey @Tim - any news regarding this ..... really hanging to add a sitemap for SEO etc etc ?
  • edited September 2010
    Hello people, Sitemaps plugin work, you have to go http://www.yourforumvanilla.com/plugin/sitemaps/build

Now, after this, you can find a sitemaps.index.xml in cache/Sitemaps

Note:
    Add this in Cron schedule

Bye!
    @thekeeper: Thanx for your input, but for my forum under 2.0.10 this doesn't seem to work.
    Hello people, Sitemaps plugin work, you have to go http://www.yourforumvanilla.com/plugin/sitemaps/build

Now, after this, you can find a sitemaps.index.xml in cache/Sitemaps

Note:
    Add this in Cron schedule

Bye!
    It shouldn't be necessary to cron this. The plugin is designed to update the sitemaps as necessary.

• AdrianAdrian Wandering Spirit Montreal MVP
    edited October 2010
    Seems sitemaps is still not working, followed this thread, downloaded it and getting 404 at http://www.yourdomain/path/to/vanilla/sitemap.index.xml. Any solution?
  • yeah - really can't see why this isn't higher up on the importance list. no sitemap, no SEO and very hard to get content into google,bing etc ?

can you PLEASE fix this :-|
  • AdrianAdrian Wandering Spirit Montreal MVP
    edited October 2010
    using this for now http://www.xml-sitemaps.com/, but I have a small forum. Not recommended if you have tons of threads.
  • It seems that this line is not working:

if (!C('Plugins.Sitemaps.Enabled')) return;

If I remove all those lines from the class.sitemaps.plugin.php file it works!