Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Character encoding problem after moving from Vanilla 1 to Vanilla 2

npnp
edited January 2011 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
I migrated my forum from Vanilla 1 to Vanilla 2. I used the vanilla2export.php to move the data over. Previous non-ASCII data is no longer displaying correctly. It showed fine in Vanilla 1.

My tables are UTF-8. I can see the correct data when using an SQL client in UTF-8 mode. The data shows up the same way in the Vanilla 2 tables as it did in the Vanilla 1 tables. Additionally, the non-forum part of my site also does UTF-8 correctly.

When I add a new comment that includes non-ASCII characters, it shows up correctly on the forum, but incorrectly in the SQL client.

My pages are being with HTTP headers specifying UTF-8. I've seen this page, which says that there are various settings for character encoding. It's for Vanilla 1, but looking at my config files, I see that I have no character-encoding-related settings in config.php, and config-default.php has:

$Configuration['Database']['CharacterEncoding'] = 'utf8'; $Configuration['Database']['ExtendedProperties']['Collate'] = 'utf8_unicode_ci'; $Configuration['Garden']['Charset'] = 'utf-8';

What do I need to do to make this work right?

Comments

• After some more digging, I found that despite the fact the tables are UTF-8, the Vanilla 1 connections were being made in latin1. The comments from Vanilla 2 are encoded correctly.

My MySQL client was connecting with the DB's default encoding, which was latin1. If I ran "set names utf8" then I saw Vanilla 2's stuff showing up correctly, and Vanilla 1's stuff incorrectly. My non-Vanilla code also had the same problem.

To fix, I made this PHP script to convert the old data. The IDs used represent the cut off between the Vanilla 1 data and the Vanilla 2 data.

<?php # make iconv shut up #error_reporting(E_WARNING); header( 'Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8' ); $db = mysql_connect('localhost', 'root', 'password'); mysql_query("USE mydb"); mysql_query("SET NAMES latin1"); #$result = mysql_query("SELECT DiscussionID, Name FROM GDN_Discussion WHERE DiscussionID <= 24460"); $result = mysql_query("SELECT DiscussionID, Body FROM GDN_Discussion WHERE DiscussionID <= 24460"); #$result = mysql_query("SELECT CommentID, Body FROM GDN_Comment WHERE CommentID <= 50053"); $stuff = array(); while ($row = mysql_fetch_row($result)) { $stuff[$row[0]] = $row[1]; } mysql_query("SET NAMES utf8"); #$result = mysql_query("SELECT DiscussionID, Name FROM GDN_Discussion WHERE DiscussionID <= 24460"); $result = mysql_query("SELECT DiscussionID, Body FROM GDN_Discussion WHERE DiscussionID <= 24460"); #$result = mysql_query("SELECT CommentID, Body FROM GDN_Comment WHERE CommentID <= 50053"); while ($row = mysql_fetch_row($result)) { if ($stuff[$row[0]] == $row[1]) { unset($stuff[$row[0]]); #echo $row[0].'<br>'; } } foreach ($stuff as $key => $value) { $value = iconv('UTF-8', 'UTF-8//IGNORE', $value); # echo $key.' "'.htmlspecialchars($value).'"<br>'; # mysql_query(sprintf("UPDATE GDN_Discussion SET Name = '%s' WHERE DiscussionID = %s", mysql_real_escape_string($value), mysql_real_escape_string($key))); mysql_query(sprintf("UPDATE GDN_Discussion SET Body = '%s' WHERE DiscussionID = %s", mysql_real_escape_string($value), mysql_real_escape_string($key))); # mysql_query(sprintf("UPDATE GDN_Comment SET Body = '%s' WHERE CommentID = %s", mysql_real_escape_string($value), mysql_real_escape_string($key))); } mysql_close($db); ?>