Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

SMF TO VANILLA... But first a few questions?

edited September 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I'm considering moving from SMF to Vanilla. Although, one of the things that may hold me back was:

The ability to promote to another role based on post count.

Is this at all possible with Vanilla? Anyone know?

My other concern was anti-spam techniques implemented with Vanilla. I see recaptcha works well with it, but as some of you may know, this doesn't always block out all spam bots. A few are able to break it. What other forms of anti-spam are available?

Does Vanilla offer a way to add custom questions to be answered in order to apply/register to the forum? (this method, combined with recaptcha, i find to be really effective against spam)

That's it basically. Other than that, I think the only other thing that bugs me about vanilla are sticky posts that are indexed to the front page of the forum/all discussion etc. Is that at all removable via the admin panel/persmissions?

Any answers/responses?

Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Options
    A lot of questions in your question.

About Anti-spam:
    Vanilla2 offers 2 Anti-spam options: Akismet AND/OR stopforumspam.com
  • Options
    TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    With regard to rewarding users based on post counts, we've thought about it (as well as things like badges), and we want to do something like that, but we're not sure what it should be yet. We also haven't had a chance to really sit down and discuss these ideas properly yet.

On our radar though :)

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• Options
    @Tim has any progress been made on badges? Or is it still on the radar?
  • Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin
    I'd venture to say yes, on the radar, but no, dev time probably hasn't been set aside for it yet (by me or the staff).
  • Options
    @Lincoln I might just have to build it myself.
  • Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin
    Awesome. :D