Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter
Support for Vanilla Forums Cloud product

In this Discussion

Follow Us

Deploying multiple vanilla forums

edited January 2011 in Questions
Hi guys,

I got a project where I need to deploy multiple forums, on one platform.

I was wondering if it was possible to keep 1 codebase, with multiple databases, and themes for each forums,

And if you guys could give me a couple of pointers to achieve this,

Thanks!

Comments

• I came here to ask the very same question. Would be interested in the answer to this also. Thanks.
  • TimTim Lord of Servers Vanilla Staff
    Depending on your OS, you can use symlinks to create multiple references to a single codebase.

Vanilla Forums Senior Developer [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• edited January 2011
    @posabsolute @CodeWarrior

If there is something set in the environment variables that you can key on to denote which site you are currently using (a sanitized version of $_SERVER['HTTP_HOST'] perhaps) you can probably change bootstrap.php so that custom paths are used for "PATH_CONF", "PATH_CACHE" and "PATH_THEMES". You would also need to make sure that each site's config.php and constants.php reflect the site specific settings.

One gotcha however is that upgrading would be a pain in that you would have to run the process for each site individually (since they have a unique database) and you would have to look at the actual upgrade scripts to see if anything needs to be adjusted to account for the unique paths. I think you would be OK as far as the web user permissions go since only the localized directories / files need to be accessed by the PHP instance.

Cheers
  • edited January 2011
    I tried changing the paths with only partial success - some CSS and JS files located in application were wrongly referenced.

I don't see upgrading as a gotcha, in fact that's one of the main reasons to share a central codebase among forums - you only need to update the files in one place.

I'm actually surprised this isn't more straight forward since I thought that was the whole point of building a framework around vanilla and making it modular!
  • Has anyone has implemented a multi forum, possibly multi tenant solution? Can you fill me in please?

Cheers

• @x00, thank you. For others, it's a link to a discussion which suggests how multiple forums can be hosted via symlinking.