Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

[SOLVED] Importing From BuddyPress to Vanilla via the Porter Plugin

edited February 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Hi people.

I'm looking for a little help regarding importing my forum from BP into Vanilla using @todd's porter plugin.

I had assumed it would be fairly straight forward but it has not been.

I realize that technically the Porter works with bbPress not BuddyPress but imo its should be essay enough to get it to work for both.

Here is the error message I am getting when I try

________
Missing required database tables: users
________

It look to me like the problem is that BP uses two table prefixes and stead of one. In my case they are wp_bb_ and .

The Vanilla Porter unfortunately only allows for one table prefix to be entered.

If I enter wp_bb I get this error - Missing required database tables: users and if I use wp_ I get - Missing required database tables: forums, posts, topics, meta.

So I'm thinking if I could get both prefixes into the porter it would work.

Am I right on this?

If so what needs to be done to get that one extra table prefix recognized by the porter?

I'll be honest I am at just about at the limit of my ability in terms of solving this on my own.

Is there any chance one of you with the ability could whip up a hacked modified version of the the Porter tool?

Alternatively if this is already been done can someone please tell where I can get a copy? I have searched all over the interwebs for a solution but without any luck. Also, if there is an other solution please do let me know.

Thanks in advance for any help people can offer me.

Comments

• Can you make a copy of the wp_users table and then run it that way to see if it works? You'd need to use mysql, something like:
    create table wp_bb_users like wp_users; insert into wp_bb_users select * from wp_users;
  • Go to phpMyAdmin, export you wp_users table, be sure to mark "Complete inserts" and "Add drop table". Save it as a file. You will get a .sql file. Open it with a text editor, replace every 'wp_users' with 'wp_bb_users'. Now, in phpMyAdmin, import this sql file. It should work now.
  • Hi guys!

Thank you both for taking the time to respond.

I’m not very comfortable directly mucking about in my databases. What re-captured my attention about Vanilla was the idea of ‘easy’ integration and importing abilities. I’m not complaining and I apologise if that’s how I’m coming across. I thank you both for your suggestions and I will be looking into both of them. They just both fall outside of the ‘easy’ part of things and I'm not sure if its something I can pull off on mywon.

Thanks again!
  • brujahbrujah
    edited February 2011
    Are you comfortable enough to put the configuration settings into this php file and try it? Just call it copy_table.php maybe, and run it in your browser.

<?php define('SQL_HOST','localhost'); define('SQL_USER','username'); define('SQL_PASS','password'); define('SQL_DB','databasename'); $mysqli = new mysqli(SQL_HOST, SQL_USER, SQL_PASS, SQL_DB); $mysqli->query('CREATE TABLE wp_bb_users LIKE wp_users'); $mysqli->query('INSERT INTO wp_bb_users SELECT * FROM wp_users'); $mysqli->close(); echo 'Done'; ?>
  • Hi Brujah

I can try that. Question - what do u mean run it in my browser? Is this Just droping it my wp root and then navagating to the file in firefox?
  • Just to be clear, all this should do is make a new copy of the wp_users table called wp_bb_users, so that you can try the importer with the wp_bb prefix. Drop the file into your wp root if you'd like, and navigate to the file in firefox. It should either give you some errors if it can't connect to the database or other, and print "Done" when it is finished running.
  • edited February 2011
    Thanks seemed to work up untill the import go part.

I am now getting - Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ':' in /home3/mysite/public_html/Vanilla/conf/config.php on line 54

Edit - Also on the import page I get the following.

Could not parse import file. The problem is near line 1.

Any ideas?
  • Ok tried again this time using the export to server method and it seems to have worked.

Will report back when I know for sure!
  • Thanks Bru!! Looks like the import worked!

I still have a ton to sort out so I'm sure I will be back asking for help!

Until then be well!
  • So, I'll mark this topic as Solved

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Yeah I'd say it is for the most part and whatever else crops up, should probably be asked in a separate threads.
  • UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    edited February 2011
    Ok, thanks @AviMontigny
    Keep us posted of any other exciting and interesting problems you might run in against.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.