Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

[GUIDES] Transfer Vanilla to another Hosting

Carlo_13Carlo_13
edited February 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Hi,

I will soon change my hosting, and I am a bit worry about my forum.
How do you guys transfer your forum vanilla ?

What is the procedure to make it work properly ?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• I haven't tried yet and I'm not planning on changing my hosting, but this sounds logic:
    • Figure out the Vanilla version and install that version on the new host
    • Copy all plugins to the new host
    • Make a backup of the database or use the porter application for a backup
    • Restore the backup on the new host
    (personally I would use the porter application)

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Thanks, I'll try this
  • AoleeAolee Hobbyist & Coder ✭✭
    edited February 2011
    i have done this one before but mine is a longer version

you could try this steps too:

1. compress all vanilla directory form your old host.
    2. export the whole vanilla db from old host.
    3. create a subdomain in the new host (later nameserver will point here) and extracted the compressed vanilla directory here.
    4. created the same db name in the new hosting and imported the db via phpmyadmin
    5. changed the conf/config.php 's db name and password (because the new db suffix on my new shared host is different - i also changed the user db and password in my new host.)
    6. test it. (luckly for me... no "Bonk" :-) )
    7. added the domain to the new host.
    8. pointed the nameserver to the new host

sorry for my bad english. hope you didn't got confused.
  • I am have transfer my database and I get an bonk error.

This is so weird, I have tried on another database it worked, and now I can't get rid of the bonk error.

When I install vanilla, I went to myphpadmin, Erase the new database, and then import the new one => and then I get the bonk error.

Does anybody know what to do ?
  • I just did this last week - it was not without headaches, but I have a working forum - the same one I started with.

This is what I did:
    ~ Export the original database. I did it without compression (compression has caused me headaches in the past).

~ Setup a brand new Vanilla installation on the new host. Ensure that it is working correctly and that you can create posts and so on. Check the content of the config file. Check the Dashboard to ensure it is complete. This is should be a totally, unmodified Vanilla setup.

~ Empty the new database. I didn't delete the new database, I simply dropped all the tables inside of it - this allows your config file to work with the new database.

~ Load the old database file. Simple upload the exported SQL file. Test this on the front end. Everything should be there.

~ Carry over the following files: Plugins, Locales, and Themes. This is where the bulk of your customizations lives. CSS, text changes and such. Also, re-installing all your plugins is a pain. Just compress these three files on the old host and then extract them and overwrite (or better delete) the files on the new installation. All the other files are core Vanilla. Don't touch.

YMMV on moving your config file over. My config file had all kinds of stuff from my old host, which was just weird. The new installation will have a fresh config file without all the server garbage from the previous (and you know that it works).

When all is said and done, your users will be there, your posts will be there, you plgins and your theme customizations will be there. It took me about 4 hours from start to finish (I made several mistakes on the way - this guide leaves those out!).

I don't remember exactly what I did for User #1 (the superadmin), but I did do it directly in the database itself. I simply made sure all the relevant columns in that account's table had the value I needed to ensure the account worked.
  • I went through a similar process creating a localhost copy of my site for testing / development purposes. I had a few bonks I had to work through, all had to do with database configuration, finally it was database permissions.
  • @leafboxtea your way works for me. thanks a lot ^^

• @Aolee can u saw me in the screen shots its very helpful for me