Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Email notifications for people in a thread

edited April 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
The email notification system works great if you start a thread. However, often times there are others that chime in and need to be updated via email as well. Is there any plugin for this or way to do it?

Thanks

Comments

• EMailSubscribe? :)

/cd
  • I assume you are talking about this plugin?
    http://vanillaforums.org/addon/636/emailsubscribe

That sort of works. However, that will auto subscribe everyone (by default if we choose) to the whole category. I don't want that, because there are far too many discussions started in a small amount of categories. I want users to receive notifications only on threads that they are participating in. And for it to happen automatically, rather then having to bookmark. This plugin does an auto bookmark it looks like. That's not exactly ideal.
  • I just realized that you are the author of this plugin. So perhaps you are the exact right person to speak to about this :)

Am I wrong in what I am assuming?
  • Hello, @Teklocust !
    So, you would like a plugin that, as soon as you participate in a discussion, it is automatically bookmarked? My plugin unfortunately doesn't do that...

It doesn't sound too hard to do, but unfortunately I am pretty overwhelmed right now with work. I can offer guidance if you want...

/cd
  • judgejjudgej
    edited April 2011
    I've thought about this, and I think the easiest way to implement it would be to automatically add a commenter to the subscribe list/bookmark list of the discussion/thread. This should be an option to turn on and off in the user's config settings.

This has been on my TODO list for a while, but I can't make any promises on when I will get around to starting such a plugin. It shouldn't be too hard to do, but the front end may be a little fiddly as I think the bookmarking needs to show on the thread as soon as a comment is made, just to keep the front-end consistent with the state at the server end (that's the fiddly bit).
  • Hey guys,

While auto-bookmarking a discussion that you participate in sounds like it could work, it is also not ideal. If users want to bookmark other discussions they follow, then their bookmark list will become long and confusing. Confusing because they never bookmarked discussions they participated in.

It would seem to make more sense to have an auto mention in each thread. For instance, because you both are participating in this thread, you both would be auto mentioned (but hidden auto mention) by me posting this comment. The only problem with this is the preference. The user should also be able to set that they do not want this to happen.

Basically, I want what the Notify plugin did in Vanilla 1 :)
    http://vanillaforums.org/addon/409-notifi
  • has there been any talk of porting Notifi to Vanilla 2? I could really use this too!
  • I just posted a quick plugin that auto bookmarks a discussion when a user adds a comment here: http://vanillaforums.org/addon/autobookmark-plugin

If you have the config set to email users when a bookmarked discussion is updated this plugin should work for you.