Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Manual Integration on 2.0.17.* ???

Comments

• Wow I'm glad you at least got your forum back, even if it was an older version of the backup.

Seems like this version of the Proxy Connect is a bit dangerous to try to implement, it would be nice to see a response from the developers on it. I tried it again, just for kicks and thinking maybe I might have missed something but nope.
    Same problem as Amber in a WordPress proxyconnect, embed forum, exact symptoms. I cannot access the forums at all anymore, even after deleting both the wordpress and vanilla sides of the plugin. Guess I'll try reinstalling.

EDIT: Nearly lost the entire forum! Luckily I backed up the database a few days ago, because when I tried to backup from the current version (with whatever ProxyConnect threw in there) it wouldn't accept the backup.
  • @Amber Thanks! I guess if anyone else experiences the same, and has a backup from BEFORE installing ProxyConnect, here's what to do:

* Delete the /vanilla/ directory or whatever you renamed it from your server. Backup any avatars, uploads or custom styles first.
    * Delete the forum database from your server.
    * Create a new, empty database for Vanilla.
    * Upload a fresh install of Vanilla.
    * Install by the usual method.
    * Delete the forum database from your server again.
    * Create a new, empty database for Vanilla.
    * In PHPMySQL, import your backup.

The forum should now be restored from your backup. The trick is to convince Vanilla that it's installed properly, then switch out the new database for the old.
  • Latest version (1.92) dos not change anything to the better, appears to me as if cookies are not properly cleared or invalidated upon logout. I noticed that I can sign in again without providing any credentials after logging out.
    Furthermore, the WordPress nonce issue seems to persist.
  • I have the same problem, latest vanilla 2.0.17.9 and 1.9.2 proxy connect. Don't think the cookie is deleted on logout, but sometimes it is... It's not working consistently. Is there a way I can test this at all? I have it manually integrated with modx revo 2.0.8 using this tutorial http://www.sottwell.com/article-vanilla.html
  • TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    New version uploaded. I fixed a minor issue in the WakeUp which solves a redirect problem.

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• I posted a response to this here: http://www.vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/138829#Comment_138829

Still not working.
    New version uploaded. I fixed a minor issue in the WakeUp which solves a redirect problem.
  • Any other news on how to get this project functioning correctly?
  • It's been several days and I haven't seen a response to this in any of the topics. Tim would it help if you were provided a live testing environment? (if you don't have one already)
  • Can confirm that manual integration still doesn't work even with the unstable version (2.0.18a).
  • Add me to the list of people who can't get this to work. When users go to the forum for the first time, the handshake url comes up as a "Bonk!" error page. When I reload the page it comes up, but won't let me link accounts. Checking in the admin section, the account was created perfectly (username and e-mail is correct), but it just won't link them or allow anyone to login to them.
  • We launched just about two weeks ago and it's been working just fine. I suppose I'll fork it and issue a pull request when I have a few minutes to clean it up.
  • So is this solved? I still can't get it to work consistently. I've rechecked everything twice.
  • I've got my fingers crossed that the next main release will fix things. If not, a lot of us might go looking for other software.
  • I was very much looking forward to getting to use the vanilla software for the main reason of this SSO capability; deviating from the more popular vB or phpbb3. Unfortunately the support for this addon seems spotty at best. I'm with mrpaul on this one.
    I've got my fingers crossed that the next main release will fix things. If not, a lot of us might go looking for other software.
  • I've been waiting for months for a fix to this. Incredible it's been left broken for so long. Shame but I (and looks like many others) can't wait any longer. SMF here I come...
  • It's a shame, because there are lots of people who would be happy to fix ProxyConnect (I, for one), but cannot work out how it works without a little documentation. Just a few hints on the login process would be a big help, because it is quite involved.
  • i would just like to know if its being worked on :D also this is the only reason i decided to use these forums, and hope its working soon or i too have to find another one as my site is to start sooon..
  • edited May 2011
    ok maybe i can get alittle help :D

looking at the file "class.proxyauthenticator.php" line 45. I did a var_dump($Response); and getting this ..

array(4) { ["Email"]=> bool(false) ["Name"]=> bool(false) ["UniqueID"]=> bool(false) ["TransientKey"]=> NULL }

with my auth page looking like this

if ($this->user->Id() > 0){
    echo "UniqueID=".$this->user->Id()."\n\n";
    echo "Name=".$this->user->Username()."\n\n";
    echo "Email=".$this->user->Email()."\n\n";
    }

if I remove the if statement..thinking this whole issues with makeing the user id = 0 was messing this up.. i get this

bool(false) bool(false) bool(false) bool(false)

any suggestion on were i can find
    $Response = $this->_GetForeignCredentials($ForeignIdentityUrl);

thus see why iam getting false instead of some names :D

i got the authentication working but i have to break security to do it. i really dont like it. when the user access a page from our site it sends a cookie with their salt to us
    our site verifies the cookie and salt to make sure it was from the user not some one faking.
    When vanilla trys to authenticate the user it sends the users cookie and salt to our site /user/auth
    but our site realities that vanilla is faking the cookie and that its not really supposed to come from vanilla so it doesn't accept it. thus the blank login or no login for some. So i had it accept the vanilla fake thus letting it grab my data ($Response) once it did that it worked perfect...so i would say proxyconnect is working! though requres a security feature to be bypassed.

• edited May 2011
    also before i forget , i had to edit the "functions.general.php" file on like 1331, change it from
    if (!$Success)
    to
    if ($Success)

also the sign in/out right now HAS to be done via the vanilla forum.. if you try to use your regular sign in/out it wont work? ill work on that tomorrow.