Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

New users are put in 'Guest' group and not 'Members'

edited April 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Hello,

I have imported a phpBB3 forum to Vanilla, and with it the groups have moved over. However when new users register, they are put in the "Guest" group and not "Members". In fact, the default groups that you can not normally delete are no longer there.

How can I set the default group for new users? It essentially has rendered my forum pointless.

Comments

• any help on this? Forum is unusable and will have to move away soon if we can't fix it =(
  • For my installation, new users are put in the Members group.

Do you have any settings in conf/config.php that look like Garden.Registration.DefaultRoles? I'm looking at applications/dashboard/models/class.usermodel.php on line 830:

$RoleIDs = Gdn::Config('Garden.Registration.DefaultRoles', array(8));

Which basically sets the Role ID to Member (8) if no default role is specified in the configuration. I would check and make sure there's no extra configuration that could be changing the default, and that your role IDs in the database (GDN_Role.RoleID) are set up correctly (1=Banned,2=Guest,3=Confirm Email,4=Applicant,8=Member,16=Administrator,32=Moderator).
  • Interesting ... it seems like the importer for phpBB3 has completely destroyed any hope of this ever working then :P I have DefaultRoles config pointing to Roles that don't even exist.

Could you please post the result of this query:

SELECT * FROM GDN_Role;

Is your installation of Vanilla a normal install ... as in, not imported from another BB?
  • edited May 2011
    Even better:

INSERT INTO `GDN_Role` (`RoleID`, `Name`, `Description`, `Sort`, `Deletable`, `CanSession`) VALUES
    (1, 'Banned', 'Banned users are not allowed to participate or sign in.', 1, 1, 0),
    (2, 'Guest', 'Guests can only view content. Anyone browsing the site who is not signed in is considered to be a "Guest".', 2, 0, 0),
    (4, 'Applicant', 'Users who have applied for membership, but have not yet been accepted. They have the same permissions as guests.', 3, 0, 0),
    (8, 'Member', 'Members can participate in discussions.', 4, 1, 1),
    (32, 'Moderator', 'Moderators have permission to edit most content.', 5, 1, 1),
    (16, 'Administrator', 'Administrators have permission to do anything.', 6, 1, 1),
    (3, 'Confirm Email', 'Users must confirm their emails before becoming full members. They get assigned to this role.', 7, 1, 0);

Yes, this is a default install.