HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Progress bar doesn't work, and needs better help

dandvdandv New
edited June 2011 in Feedback
What settings exactly does this plugin need to enable file upload progress bars?

"If your server is configured properly" isn't a very helpful way to tell users to set apc.rfc1867 on :)

But even with that setting on, and APC 3.1.9, when I upload files, the progress bar stays at 0% all the time.

Comments

• Is there a easy way to explain how to get the progress bar to work?
    I have the same problem as dandv
  • lucluc ✭✭
    @uniclue, using apache with mod_php?
  • @Tim: would be great to have more detailed instructions on how to get this addon working.

I'm using Vanilla with nginx as described here.
  • TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    edited June 2011
    I left the instructions/hints deliberately high level and vague with the following reasoning:

The libraries/modules upon which the progress bars depend are tricky to install and come with their own issues. Simply saying "install APC, here's how" will cause many people's sites to behave unpredictably, not to mention many people asking me how to install APC, which is not my problem.

For example, if you're using nginx, you're also using PHPFPM, which means that you almost certainly don't want to install APC since it will bloat each process by an additional 32mb (internal cache size).

If you're using Apache and FastCGI/fcgid, you also don't want to install APC, for the same reason.

Simply put, people that understand how to get this working will be able to follow the breadcrumbs that are already there. People who are confused by the current wording need to do some more learning before they're able to make an informed decision whether or not to install and enable APC.

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• Some other interesting information:
    http://pecl.php.net/bugs/bug.php?id=13607

The only way for Nginx/FastCGI seems to be solutions like http://wiki.nginx.org/HttpUploadProgressModule