Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Bonk?

edited February 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Hello,
Recently, I installed Vanilla 2. Everything is ok, but when I'm trying to read new topic or post new topic:

"Bonk
Something funky happened. Please bear with us while we iron out the kinks."

Any idea what's going on?

Greetings,
krzaczor93
Tagged:

Comments

• have you enabled any plugins? Some of the plugins need to be updated and when you enable them they cause errors
  • Go into /vanilla2/conf/config-defaults.php and copy the line that starts like this

// $Configuration['Garden']['Errors']['MasterView']

and paste it into /vanilla2/conf/config.php and un-comment.

This will give you more meaning full errors.
  • There should absolutely be an easier way to debug bonks.

Something like (but not as easily guessable as) adding "?debug=true" to the URL when the page is bonking out.
  • TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    This screen can and will show the raw contents of variables, including passwords. You do NOT want someone without SSH / FTP access to have this ability. ?debug=true will never be implemented.

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• Would be nice if there was a simple GUI switch in the admin for enabling "debug mode" only for admins.
  • TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    When a 'Bonk!' happens, the code is in an unstable state. There is no way to know what is loaded and what is not, so trying to rely on permissions at this point is futile.

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• The problem I have is that only some of my users get Bonk! on some pages. I have never got one myself. How can I diagnose these?
  • I see solution as follows - Bonk must contain link to html page with detailed information, and this page must reside in password protected directory (by .htacess)
  • Bonk = FAIL. You've gotta have meaningful error messages. There is no excuse for a 'bonk' page. That's horrible app design. We're talking 'worst' practise.
  • hyphyhyphy New
    edited July 2011
    Bonk = FAIL. You've gotta have meaningful error messages. There is no excuse for a 'bonk' page. That's horrible app design. We're talking 'worst' practise.
    Not at all. In fact, it's a proper and - I'll even go so far as to say - an excellent method to display error messages. The end user should see as little details as possible in order to avoid further interruption and/or distraction from their usage of Vanilla or any other application.

A better method to approach Bonk pages, however, would be to institute a proper error log that captures and records all displayed Bonk pages into a .log file that is saved to some location on the server. The log file would then be displayable to the Administrators inside of the Dashboard and would contain details the time/date of the Bonk page, as well as the expanded explanation for why the Bonk page was shown to the end user.