Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Another update problem.......

edited August 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I did that, now I got something else, this is cracking me up, and doing my head in......I have another error now.....

Fatal Error in PHP.trigger_error();

Smarty error: unable to write to $compile_dir '/srv/hamstersratsandmore.co.uk/public/htdocs/forum/cache/Smarty/compile'. Be sure $compile_dir is writable by the web server user.
The error occurred on or near: /srv/hamstersratsandmore.co.uk/public/htdocs/forum/library/vendors/Smarty-2.6.25/libs/Smarty.class.php
1109: * @param integer $error_type
1110: */
1111: function trigger_error($error_msg, $error_type = E_USER_WARNING)
1112: {
1113: trigger_error("Smarty error: $error_msg", $error_type);
1114: }
1115:
1116:
1117: /**
Backtrace:
/srv/hamstersratsandmore.co.uk/public/htdocs/forum/library/vendors/Smarty-2.6.25/libs/Smarty.class.phpPHP::Gdn_ErrorHandler();
[/srv/hamstersratsandmore.co.uk/public/htdocs/forum/library/vendors/Smarty-2.6.25/libs/Smarty.class.php:1113] PHP::trigger_error();
[/srv/hamstersratsandmore.co.uk/public/htdocs/forum/library/vendors/Smarty-2.6.25/libs/internals/core.write_compiled_resource.php:23] Smarty->trigger_error();
[/srv/hamstersratsandmore.co.uk/public/htdocs/forum/library/vendors/Smarty-2.6.25/libs/Smarty.class.php:1451] PHP::smarty_core_write_compiled_resource();
[/srv/hamstersratsandmore.co.uk/public/htdocs/forum/library/vendors/Smarty-2.6.25/libs/Smarty.class.php:1274] Smarty->_compile_resource();
[/srv/hamstersratsandmore.co.uk/public/htdocs/forum/library/vendors/Smarty-2.6.25/libs/Smarty.class.php:1126] Smarty->fetch();
[/srv/hamstersratsandmore.co.uk/public/htdocs/forum/library/core/class.smarty.php:81] Smarty->display();
[/srv/hamstersratsandmore.co.uk/public/htdocs/forum/library/core/class.controller.php:1516] Gdn_Smarty->Render();
[/srv/hamstersratsandmore.co.uk/public/htdocs/forum/library/core/class.controller.php:1094] Gdn_Controller->RenderMaster();
[/srv/hamstersratsandmore.co.uk/public/htdocs/forum/library/core/class.pluggable.php:193] Gdn_Controller->xRender();
[/srv/hamstersratsandmore.co.uk/public/htdocs/forum/applications/vanilla/controllers/class.discussionscontroller.php:143] Gdn_Pluggable->__call();
[/srv/hamstersratsandmore.co.uk/public/htdocs/forum/applications/vanilla/controllers/class.discussionscontroller.php:143] DiscussionsController->Render();
[/srv/hamstersratsandmore.co.uk/public/htdocs/forum/applications/vanilla/controllers/class.discussionscontroller.php:143] DiscussionsController->Index();
[/srv/hamstersratsandmore.co.uk/public/htdocs/forum/library/core/class.dispatcher.php:291] PHP::call_user_func_array();
[/srv/hamstersratsandmore.co.uk/public/htdocs/forum/index.php:51] Gdn_Dispatcher->Dispatch();
Variables in local scope:
[error_msg] 'unable to write to $compile_dir \'/srv/hamstersratsandmore.co.uk/public/htdocs/forum/cache/Smarty/compile\'. Be sure $compile_dir is writable by the web server user.'
[error_type] 256

Anybody know what this means, and how to get around it......
Tagged:

Answers

• Well at a guess apache cant write to /srv/hamstersratsandmore.co.uk/public/htdocs/forum/cache/Smarty/compile\
  • edited August 2011
    Ok, now can you tell me, how I get around it, so that my forum will work. Saying what I can seem is just repeating what I posted....its not a help.....and where does it talk about apache.....
  • ok, now, got something, I made /srv/hamstersratsandmore.co.uk/public/htdocs/forum/cache/Smarty/compile\ writable, but now I get no template.....my site looks like this http://www.hamstersratsandmore.co.uk/forum/ .......and it keeps telling my my config.php file is not writeable, and it will only work, if config.php is 777, which means I'm open to attack, how do I get around that.
  • How about you keep 1 thread with all your problems. I will give a hint. They are mostly related to not being able to write to certain areas, directories missing, etc.

I will close this thread and let's keep the other thread open for a while till you've figured out that re-installing is a viable option, setting permissions correctly and then post a problem if there ever is one.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.