Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Edit doesn't work in IE8

edited December 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
How is it possible to have an "approved" plugin that doesn't work on IE8 on editing? Rak has spent a lot of time getting this to work, but it seems he is on the end of the line. The problem appears to be inside the core of Vanilla, which is a pity, because a Wysiwyg editor would be very nice. A solution seems just "around the corner", it would be nice to see the working "approved" editor in action.

Comments

• I'll have to second this. The problem isn't limited to XP, I tested IE8 on Windows 7 and it still won't work. Simply, nothing happens when you click in the text box.

I also tested in in IE7 in XP and it simply causes the browser to crash instantly.

Probably most people on here are using better, standards compliant browsers like Chrome or FF, but browsing stats still say that about 50% my visitors are still using IE. I'm pretty sure everyone else is having the same sort of stats on their visitors.

I think this qualifies the problem as being a big or, at least, a bigger problem. It's a big usability issue. WYSIWYG is an important aspect, especially for people who use IE. I could turn it off, but the visitors in my niche are not html savvy which means so much functionality is lost.

I am seeing on this forums that other people are using it without complaint. I did the plugin dance in Vanilla but there was no success, I'm not sure if plugins cause conflicts like this.

Can I make a plea to @mark @tim @lincoln to look into this?
  • I'm having the same issue as leafboxtea. Users who are operating IE cannot post anything. They can see the comment box, but they're not able to comment within it.

I opened IE and replicated the issue myself.

Any ideas? (I'm no coder and am relatively technically challenged, so ANY help is appreciated.)
  • Turn off CLEditor jQuery WYSIWYG plug in. :)
  • Same issue - cannot enter text in the box in IE8. Have not tested other browsers. I have turned it off for now but hope an update would be released to address the issue.
  • the members of my comunity reports same issues with Ie8 and the Cleditor, script hangs the explorer
  • also having this exact same issue on IE7, just hangs the browser with script has stopped responding error.

At present I am unable to find ANY working WYSIWYG editor with the latest (2.0.17.8) Vanilla Forums (Have tried the two TinyMCE's above and cant get either to load.
  • Yes, same here.. IE8 crashes when this plugin is active.

It was first reported in December last year. Too bad i hasn't been fixed yet :(
  • It's just not realistic to expect all of my users to stop using IE. I'm surprised this could be considered "approved". There should be some kind of disclaimer.
  • AoleeAolee Hobbyist & Coder ✭✭
    is there any other good "cross-browser compatible" wysiwyg plugin for vanilla 2?
  • I updated to the beta yesterday (2.0.18b2) and activated this plugin (whcih appears to be at version 1 now, and not version 0.5 as available here!). I can see the WYSIWYG editor now for IE8 (having tried this plugin some months ago before I updated, I had to uninstall as it did not work in IE8). Hopefully this might be of some help to some people...
  • I also updated to 2.0.18b2 and the version is 1.0, but it still doesn't work with IE8.

I have documented part of the problem at https://github.com/vanillaforums/Garden/issues/1075
    When these two syntax errors are corrected, it works a bit, but IE8 still crashes often.