Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Sitemaps relatively easy to setup, follow these instructions...

x00x00 MVP
edited September 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
1) extract plug-in to plugins folder.
2) Point to /plugin/sitemaps/build in a browser
3) Check in cache that there is a sitemaps folder, and there are some sitemaps files in it.
4) In dashboard create a route expression: sitemap.([^\.]+).xml, target: cache/sitemaps/sitemap.$1.xml, type:internal.

You can view the site map index at /sitemaps.$1.xml, it list the sitemap location, which you can view also.

grep is your friend.

Tagged:

Comments

• I tried this but I get this message:
    This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.

Page not found.
  • just tried it again and it now works, thanks a lot.
    After step 4, I visited /sitemap.index.xml and It gave me the link to my sitemap.
    Thanks again
  • sorry that was a typo I ment vist sitemap.index.xml lol

sitemaps.$1.xml is a regex substitution.

grep is your friend.

• RajioRajio
    edited September 2011
    The problem I'm having still is that when I look in

http://www.delayofgame.ca/sitemap.index.xml

I just get:
    404 Page not found.
  • but in /cache/sitemaps/ there are 2 files.

sitemaps.index.xml with the above contents and sitemap.5a181a7368794f045fcb2d8953de5fc7010a14e4.xml with what appears to be a real sitemap.

what should I do?
  • You need to create a route as in step 4

grep is your friend.

• route expression: sitemap.([^\.]+).xml, target: cache/sitemaps/sitemap.$1.xml

grep is your friend.

• I swear thats what I did the first time I tried. seems to work now. sitmap seems to bring up:

http://www.delayofgame.ca/sitemap.fb47ad097dd2fe79036a274b3f3fb1605578bf5d.xml 2011-09-09

perfect. thanks.
  • Yep that is correct.

Originally the sitemap spec was only one, now it is possible to have more than one,hence the index.

grep is your friend.

• btw you can also set the sitemaps location in a robots.txt.l

grep is your friend.

• I have set up sitemap successfully and I could access. I submitted it to google webmasters tool. And google is throwing error

-------------------------------------
    "General HTTP error: 404 not found
    We encountered an error while trying to access your Sitemap. Please ensure your Sitemap follows our guidelines and can be accessed at the location you provided and then resubmit."
    -------------------------------------

What could be reason? I could access sitemap from 2 diffrent pc.
  • Same here. From what I can see my sitemap looks like I mentioned above, but when google checks it, webmaster tools tells me:

" Error: The last attempt at downloading the Sitemap failed. The details below are representative of the last successful download."

"General HTTP error: 404 not found
    We encountered an error while trying to access your Sitemap. Please ensure your Sitemap follows our guidelines and can be accessed at the location you provided and then resubmit."

"Unsupported file format
    Your Sitemap does not appear to be in a supported format. Please ensure it meets our Sitemap guidelines and resubmit."
  • Curious. There are various way to submit site maps

google says it supports index files.

I didn't write this plugin btw, but it wouldn't be that hard to modify it to submit the sitemap itself preferably through curl, wordpress plugin does that. You could also have a dynamic robots.txt also using routes.

grep is your friend.

• At the moment I can't test becuase I have disallowed indexing.

grep is your friend.

• Since it is not like previous sitemaps are kept then you could simply put the contents of the sitemap in the index file. It would avoid the chance of missing one.

grep is your friend.

• Here's an interesting question I was recently asked and I don't really know the answer to: let's say you have a WordPress blog running at www.domain.com and a Vanilla forum running at domain.com/forum

There are a plethora of WordPress plugins that make sitemaps for WordPress... but they don't touch other apps in the domain, like Vanilla.

So would it then be best to create a sitemap using a plugin like this one for Vanilla and submit it to Google Webmaster Tools, thus providing for 2 sitemaps for the same domain: one for WordPress and another for Vanilla?

What do you guys think?
  • x00x00 MVP
    edited September 2011
    Yes so long as urls do not overlap in them.

grep is your friend.

• It all seems to work just fine on the latest beta but when I check server headers for the sitemap.index.xml page, I get a 404. Google webmaster tools also gets the 404 obviously. Any hints?
  • im still having the 404 and unsupported file format errors on google webmaster tools. any ideas what to do? its been a year since this plugin has been updated.
  • ok it is very simple really in plugins/Sitemaps/class.sitemaps.plugin.php in RenderMap method add header('HTTP/1.0 200 OK'); before header('Content-Type: text/xml');

grep is your friend.