Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

url's posted in comments or discussions should open in new window

camocamo New
edited October 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Is there a way (excepting manual change by edit/view source) to have urls posted in discussions and comments open in a new tab or window so the user is not taken away from the forum?

As it does here if you click a link like this one

http://www.google.com.au/
Tagged:

Best Answers

• UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    Answer ✓
    Not sure why the plugin disables the inbuilt function?/blockquote>What do you mean with the inbuilt function?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    Answer ✓
    Pfff, I had to read that line 4 times before I understood what you meant.
    I mean the software automatically opens comment/discussions links (inside comments/discussions), in a new window, aka 'inbuilt'.
    The vanilla software has functionality built-in that when you save a comment with an url in it, that a link is automatically created. This link is in a format that it opens in a new window (target = _blank if you look in the HTML source)

I don't know what's wrong when you have the CLEditor enabled and I do believe your problem that the _blank isn't added when CLEditor is enabled. I do not have a solution for you.

If you want the url to be opened in the same tab or in the same window, i.e. move away from the built-in functionality (for camo : inbuilt), that cannot be done without editing the source.

It is also default functionality, so you have to wonder whether you want to change that.

Answers

• Found that Disabling WYSIWYG (CLEditor) plugin works! Not sure why the plugin disables the inbuilt function?
  • UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    Answer ✓
    Not sure why the plugin disables the inbuilt function?/blockquote>What do you mean with the inbuilt function?

• camocamo New
    edited October 2011
    I mean the software automatically opens comment/discussions links (inside comments/discussions), in a new window, aka 'inbuilt'.
    The WYSIWYG plugin when enabled nullifies that action for whatever reason, so those links open in the same window and the user must hit the 'back' button.

• UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    Answer ✓
    Pfff, I had to read that line 4 times before I understood what you meant.
    The vanilla software has functionality built-in that when you save a comment with an url in it, that a link is automatically created. This link is in a format that it opens in a new window (target = _blank if you look in the HTML source)

I don't know what's wrong when you have the CLEditor enabled and I do believe your problem that the _blank isn't added when CLEditor is enabled. I do not have a solution for you.

If you want the url to be opened in the same tab or in the same window, i.e. move away from the built-in functionality (for camo : inbuilt), that cannot be done without editing the source.

It is also default functionality, so you have to wonder whether you want to change that.

• camocamo New
    edited October 2011
    I don't want to change it! I just couldn't work out what was happening, until I disabled CLEditor !

(for underdog *Note: sarcasm right back at ya*) , "built-in" functionality wasn't happening, until I disabled CLEditor.

I personally, dont care why! If somebody else cares, good luck to them getting help, right? Who the hell wrote CLEditor anyway?

No more CLEditor, problem solved! (For me)

I thought I'd mention it here for the benefit of anyone else who's links are not opening in new windows and has CLEditor enabled.