Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Is there a license I can purchase to remove the links to Vanilla?

Hi there,

I am curious if there is a license I can purchase that would allow for the removal of the Vanilla link in the footer? I love the software and would like to continue to support it, but I would rather pay money to help support the development of the software as opposed to providing a backlink to the homepage.

Sorry if this is an odd question, I know some web-based software allows you to purchase an 'owned' license of sorts that will allow you to remove the branding, I was curious if there is anything like that for Vanilla.

Thanks!

Best Answer

Answers

• ddumontddumont ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Well it is open source software, I don't think they require attribution in the forum UI, just that you release any modifications you make as open source.

https://github.com/vanillaforums/Garden/blob/master/LICENSE.txt

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• edited November 2011
    Ah, I see. So it wouldn't be an issue if I decided to remove the link in the footer?

I've looked and looked and I can't for the life of me figure out HOW to remove it. I'll give credit where credit is due, but i'd prefer to place that link elsewhere and alter it show it's not displayed as "Powered by Vanilla".

I've edited the default.master.php file, to no success.

Any one care to share? Right now i'm using the Default Vanilla theme with the "Vanilla Big City" style.

• ddumontddumont ✭✭
    edited November 2011
    default.master.php has it near the bottom:
    echo Wrap(Anchor(T('Powered by Vanilla'), C('Garden.VanillaUrl')), 'div');
    You can remove that line (note: this file will get replaced on upgrades)

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• AoleeAolee Hobbyist & Coder ✭✭
    just a suggestion, why not leave the footer, sign up for an affiliate program, and then change the vanilla footer link with your vanilla referral link :) that way you can help vanilla and earn at the same time.