Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

I am looking for an association or mastermind group of vanilla owners. Does any exist?

edited November 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Thanks for checking this out. I was hoping to become part of a group of owners who regularly meet and cooperate on various aspects of business, site development and enterprise building.

If you are interested in being part of a dynamic and exciting group of forward thinking people then please post a little here and send me a personal message so we can start this group asap!

Thanks

Best Answer

• 422422 Developer MVP
    Answer ✓
    I am toying with asking the devs if they would allow us , to create custom commercial themes and a percentage of proceeds filters back to vanilla.

Would obviouly need their endorsement and set an agreement up to handle the pre nups .
    What's your thoughts .. Could be a good revenue generator.

Ste

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Answers

• Is an evil sidekick a requirement?
  • lol

grep is your friend.

• Kidding aside, this is a good idea. Vanilla is a good product that needs to be made great through stronger community support and collaboration.
  • 422422 Developer MVP
    Answer ✓
    I am toying with asking the devs if they would allow us , to create custom commercial themes and a percentage of proceeds filters back to vanilla.

Would obviouly need their endorsement and set an agreement up to handle the pre nups .
    What's your thoughts .. Could be a good revenue generator.

Ste

• I don't know why you need permission from Vanilla to create custom themes. Other companies are already doing it. Go for it!
  • 422422 Developer MVP
    edited November 2011
    Yeah but we arent greedy and i would be happier giving a slice of it back to the devs officially

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    To my knowledge, you don't need permission to create themes or plugins with whatever license you like. Obviously we endorse and prefer GPL2, but it's up to you.
  • edited November 2011
    Actually in this competive world there is no stopping anyone to sell any type of products. The catch is being able to get a nod from the company. Since this is open source they are more towards an open source setting. But already there is paid add-ons available and many approved by the company.

If we make it first, better and cheaper we will have their nods.

Bring it on, lets work together on some projects. I have a lot of business code that I own (not open source) to exploit. Many of it in PHP
  • x00x00 MVP
    edited November 2011
    This an an alternative route that I suggested:

Sponsored Addons

Businesses and individuals want advanced plugins. They don't always have the capability to make them. People like myself are happy to make them should it be worth my while.

This would be paying for labour/time, rather then the software, the addon will them be released as GPL to benefit the wider community.

grep is your friend.

• AnonymooseAnonymoose ✭✭
    edited November 2011
    WANTED:

Pay to Upgrade Membership
    Pay to Register
    Pay to Post
    Pay for Sticky Item
    Subscription Service
    Pay for Advertising

Until these kind of plugins are available, Vanilla will not be viable for commercial sites.
  • x00x00 MVP
    edited November 2011
    @Anonymoose

What rubbish, commercial sites can pay someone to make those if that is what they want. Or do it in house.

I completely dispute that however. You have to consider what a forums is for, overwhelmingly it is for support. Some is pay but the majority is free.

A successful framework, and application, is one that is useful, adaptable, and reliable.

A commercial forum wouldn't confuse a forum with classified advertising. Some may use it for that. They may like the format, which is fair enough, but if they are really serious about, they would have no problem developing.

You are talking about a fraction of commercial sites.

The idea that this is seriously holding the vanilla back just isn't the case.

grep is your friend.

• 422422 Developer MVP
    edited November 2011
    I concur , pay as you go forums are few and far between.

Once you initiate payg your into the realms of payment and security, which i think is better controlled outside of the forum framework.

If this is your thing, then usergroup permission systm can handle all of that by redirection etc.

Vanilla is the dogs gonads imho

In fact set up eccommerce site, and prevent access to the forums until user pays, then based on level of support ie amount they pay, auto assign them to a specific usergroup and tie in the permissions system.

But this is not a fundamental, and more over is not enorsed by any major forum platform. ( at core level )

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    Is this a good thing?
  • Is this a good thing?
    It's the best thing.
  • 422422 Developer MVP
    Is this a good thing?
    Lol yeah ... dogs gonads

• 422422 Developer MVP
    @markd beat me to it ;)

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bollocks#.22Dog.27s_bollocks.22

explaining British slang not the easiest.

grep is your friend.

• 422422 Developer MVP
    thanks x00, your not a Canuk as well are you ?

• x00x00 MVP
    edited November 2011
    eh, no I'm from the UK, init. :D

It is when when folk start talking of 'fanny packs', that you make your exit sharpish.

grep is your friend.

• 422422 Developer MVP
    edited November 2011
    Lol. I am originally from pommy land