Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

You sent you a message.

edited September 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
When I send messages to people I get the following in my Activity feed

"You sent you a message."

Any one else experience this?

Answers

• Yes I've seen this for a while now. I think it's because the message is "to" you and whoever you are messaging.

You are adding a new comment to the message and since you get notifications of message changes that are "to" you, you see that you sent a message to you.

I think the wording could be touched up on it... or just omitted altogether. Create a bug report on their github repo! they are about to go into RC, so if it's an easy fix who knows... it might get in.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    Yeah there's a bunch of bugs in the Activities bit and I think we're kind of holding off on dealing with it until we're ready to rethink more of it.
  • I have upgraded to the latest version and still have privacy issues with activity feeds of all users being visible to everybody.... the only way i manage to switch it off is if i switch of profile view
    please help i'm losing users
  • ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    Consider yourself banned for writing the same question in different, unrelated threads @Paulmac.
  • edited November 2011
    Hi Todd
    A bit heavy handed tactic to deliver to a new user.. I was looking for a suitable thread to ask the question in but couldn't find one, i then found I was unable to ask the question as i didn't have the right permission... I dont understand you??
    You ban me @ 6.40 (a brand new user) on my 1st ever question to what i believe is a problem and then provide some answers to the question in an email at 6.52 ????
    CAN ACTIVITIES BE SWITCHED OFF PLEASE!
    I just need help with a techy question not a disciplinary - hopefully

Kind regards

Paulmac
  • By the way... Great product.

Thanks

Paulmac
  • TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    Nope, still banned.

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• This is a pretty old thread, but if anyone still encounters this problem there's a pretty quick workaround. You can use str_replace around

echo $Title;

located directly under

<div class="ItemContent Activity">

in views/activity/helper_functions.php

For me, this bug only occurs when users send private messages to the admin, so using an example like:

<?php echo str_replace('You sent you', 'You sent <a href="/forums/profile/Waltz">Waltz</a>', $Title); ?>

(Waltz being the admin)

users see,
    'You sent Waltz a message.', instead of 'You sent you a message.'