HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Small but important addition to Vanilla comments

RaizeRaize vancouver ✭✭
edited November 2011 in Feedback
Alongside the small links for "quote" "like" and "spam" there should be a link for "reply" or "mention". Typing usernames manually is prone to errors and isn't the most intuitive way to do it. It should be like Twitter mentions if that makes more sense. Very important for flow of discussions.
Tagged:

Comments

• jspautschjspautsch Themester ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a neat idea, would be very helpful on my forum because we use display names that don't work with mentions (due to spaces). However, at what point are there too many links?
  • ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    Good idea for an option and something I'd recommend goes in a plugin.

One of the things that I'm struggling with is the UI clutter that all of these buttons are starting to cause. I absolutely don't want to lose track of this and all of a sudden notice that Vanilla is starting to look like a phpBB or vBulletin cluttered mess.

I'm thinking of moving these options to below the comment and then possibly even have them only show up on hover. I have an idea playing around in my head to seperate the links into primary and secondary functions so you'd see for instance the like button all the time, but the other buttons would only display on hover.

Do you know of any sites that do this type of thing well?
  • always a good test is what it look like when styles are turned off. It is tad confusing

Also it should be a javascript only solution. You shouldn't be displaying anything if there is no javascript, insert the list with javascript.

grep is your friend.

• There's already an addon to do this. I just installed it on my site yesterday.

This one http://vanillaforums.org/addon/easyreply-plugin

it seems to work fine.
  • RaizeRaize vancouver ✭✭
    i think spam and abuse should be rolled into one link that is simply "flag" that way it will clear up one space for "reply" that should do that trick.

@Douglas_Thor thanks for pointing that out!
  • candymancandyman ✭✭
    edited November 2011
    I agree with Raize.

On the other hand it would be nice that the Quote link could work with the highlighted text too. I mean: if I click Quote the full post is quoted, if firstly I highlight part of the post and then click Quote only this part is quoted.
  • 422422 Developer MVP
    Personally i am in favour of spam/abuse only being visible on post hover. I agree there seems littel between these. Plus showing two negative links and only be positive link seems unbalanced

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Maybe a "Recommend" or "Share" option (with the possibility to share the
    post on the Social Networks) could re-balance the stuff?

Don't forget the risk to ruin the clean style of Vanilla... (possibility to choose this otions needed).
  • RaizeRaize vancouver ✭✭
    i like the fact that we are having such a productive discussion over a seemingly minor detail.. another reason why Vanilla is head and shoulders above the competition