Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Change "Howdy, Stranger!" to something more professional (i.e. more boring).

apbarrattapbarratt New
edited November 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Oh how I feel like such a square posting this.

Vanilla is designed to be fun and enjoyable, unfortunately for the company I'm working for, what is seen by Vanilla to be fun and enjoyable is seen as unprofessional. So I'm looking for a general pointer to where I can go be a kill joy by changing phrases like "Howdy Stranger!" to something more professional sounding. Perhaps a folder/file name?

Best Answers

• ojjuanojjuan New
    Answer ✓
    Agreed, and I modified it by changing the default message in the class.guestmodule.php file located in /applications/dashboard/modules.

In my version of Vanilla, I changed line 17 ($MessageDefault value). Not sure if this is the best way to customize as it'll probably get overwritten if/when I upgrade.
  • yu_tangyu_tang New
    Answer ✓
    Vanilla Forums Blog » Howdy, Stranger!

btw, what's the tag for this discussion?

Answers

• ojjuanojjuan New
    Answer ✓
    Agreed, and I modified it by changing the default message in the class.guestmodule.php file located in /applications/dashboard/modules.

In my version of Vanilla, I changed line 17 ($MessageDefault value). Not sure if this is the best way to customize as it'll probably get overwritten if/when I upgrade.
  • apbarrattapbarratt New
    edited June 2011
    Thanks Ojjuan,
    In mine, I've ended up changing the greeting as well as the paragraph underneath at /applications/dashboard/modules as well as /applications/dashboard/views/modules.

Now to look into this "Bonk - Something funky happened" error message, don't want that turning up :S
  • I have the lines

public $MessageCode = 'GuestModule.Message';
    public $MessageDefault = "It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!";

deleted

public $MessageCode = 'GuestModule.Message';

and changed

public $MessageDefault = "It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!";

but the "Howdy Stranger" message is still there. Must be pulling from another place
  • yeah, I found the Howdy Stranger in applications\dashboard\views\modules\guest.php :)
  • yu_tangyu_tang New
    Answer ✓
    Vanilla Forums Blog » Howdy, Stranger!

btw, what's the tag for this discussion?
  • hyphyhyphy New
    edited June 2011
    Bunch of squares in this thread! ;)
  • apbarrattapbarratt New
    edited June 2011
    lmao, sorry, I wansn't taking tags seriously when I created it. Have now added the tag howdystranger

I had thought of using locales to translate it like @Mark suggests, but felt it too hacky. I think editing the actual modules like we have above feels more like a fix to our problem.

However, it does mean you have to keep a backup and if there should be any upgrades to the modules you change, you'd likely loose your changes along with them.

Perhaps we should work to add to the next version, an option to have two types of vanilla, Classic Vanilla and Vanilla Professional. Which simply comes up as an option during setup and on the dashboard and just chooses the messages that apear accross the site.

p.s. it's amazing how much I'm craving ice cream right now.
    p.p.s. @Mark, if you're hiring ;]
    p.p.p.s. ...and paying for flights.
  • apbarrattapbarratt New
    edited June 2011
    After more investigation, it seems that editing the conf/locale.php file will also be a problem as it too will be replaced during an upgrade if you're not careful.
  • lucluc ✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Using locale is the way to go, editing core files, that's the hacky way.
  • When using colloquial language such as Howdy Stranger, we need to be aware that it is the WORLD WIDE Web. We never know how such words will translate. "Stranger" may translate in some languages to a word equivalent to "enemy" or someone from another tribe. More neutral words will probably translate better. Thanks to the posters above, I was able to change Howdy Stranger to Welcome Visitor.
  • config/local.php

example

<?php if (!defined('APPLICATION')) exit();
    $NewDefinitions = array (
    'Unannounce' => 'unstick',
    'Announcement' => 'Sticky Topic',
    'Announce' => 'Sticky',
    'Insert Image' => 'Insert Image full size *Large images auto resized',
    'Howdy, Stranger!' => 'Gday Guests!',
    'Apply for Membership' => 'Register',
    'GuestModule.Message' => 'If you would like to take part in discussions, please sign in or Register below! Registration is instant!',

Can be done in this format
    $Definition['Some text'] = 'Translation goes here.';
  • config/local.php

example

<?php if (!defined('APPLICATION')) exit();
    $NewDefinitions = array (
    'Unannounce' => 'unstick',
    'Announcement' => 'Sticky Topic',
    'Announce' => 'Sticky',
    'Insert Image' => 'Insert Image full size *Large images auto resized',
    'Howdy, Stranger!' => 'Gday Guests!',
    'Apply for Membership' => 'Register',
    'GuestModule.Message' => 'If you would like to take part in discussions, please sign in or Register below! Registration is instant!',

Can be done in this format
    $Definition['Some text'] = 'Translation goes here.';
    Total Newbie question

How would I use this code?

cheers

• sahotataransahotataran Developer, Bay Area - CA ✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    go to your installation/conf/locale.php
    add the line $Definition['Some text'] = 'Translation goes here.';
    e.g you want to change text "Apply for Membership" to something else then you can do something like :
    $Definition['Apply for Membership'] = 'Get Involved.';

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    The blog post @yu_tang linked to is the best way to do this. Modifying the module to do it is a bad, bad idea because it will be erased every upgrade.
  • edited December 2011

hi sahotataran

Tried to translate "Accepted Answer" in post to something else using /conf/locale.php and it doesn't work... Is this changed by this method or another way?

• Same method, should work. Instead of /conf/local.php go to /locale/skeleton/ duplicate it change the folder name to whatever you want to call your locale, and then add
    $Definition['Accepted Answer'] = 'Agreed Upon Solution.';
    or whatever tickles your fancy.

Then in dashboard go to locale and change it to to locale you just made.

• 422422 Developer MVP

I use @clethrill 's. method.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• AnonymooseAnonymoose ✭✭
    edited November 2012

@apbarratt said:
    Vanilla is designed to be fun and enjoyable, unfortunately for the company I'm working for, what is seen by Vanilla to be fun and enjoyable is seen as unprofessional. So I'm looking for a general pointer to where I can go be a kill joy by changing phrases like "Howdy Stranger!" to something more professional sounding. Perhaps a folder/file name?

I've never heard anyone say "Howdy Stranger" outside of the movies. It might be a regional expression common to the area where the original developers live.

Mark O'Sullivan Aug 17, 2010 Developers 7 Comments
    One of the most common questions we get on the community forums is how can I change the “Howdy Stranger” text on my forum?

Given that even the developers admit that this is one of the most common questions asked, wouldn't it be reasonable to make a change to using more neutral language in the default locale?

http://vanillaforums.com/blog/developers/howdy-stranger/

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/18841/how-to-change-words-howdy-stranger-in-invite-form

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/10614/where-is-the-language-file-for-howdy-stranger

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/18882/i-cant-change-howdy-stranger-to-gday

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Oh how funny, I also changed that part !! The Howdy is kind of from the south lol
    I just Put Welcome, Please Register to Post and the apply for membership to Register.

pretty cool to be able to customize everything !! That's why I love Vanilla :)

• AnonymooseAnonymoose ✭✭
    edited November 2012

@vrijvlinder said:
    Oh how funny, I also changed that part !! The Howdy is kind of from the south lol

I thought the developers are from Canada? Maybe it is used there too.