Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

como lograr esto en vanilla? (penny-arcade) theme

edited November 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I have a great curiosity, reviewing the new website I've seen vanilla vanilla a very interesting theme, you see it on the web: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/

in which, as you will have the default menu by categories, only I have some questions:

anyone know how to customize the css to make it look in a similar way?

which files should it change? and also that recommended addons to make it look the thumb of the last he wrote?

analyzing the other hand I also saw something very interesting in http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussions where a table is very interesting: ORIGINAL POST, MOST RECENT POST REPLIES, VIEWS

plugins that can be used to bring a product so bright?

Thank you very much for your help.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• 422422 Developer MVP
    edited November 2011 Answer ✓
    A few grand in dev time and you could have something similar

@jahansonlocker firebug wont help 100%

Sometimes you have to get your hands dirty

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Answers

• Firebug will help you.
  • I'd love to see a theme that looks like the Penny Arcade one, or even slightly similar - looks fantastic!
  • 422422 Developer MVP
    edited November 2011 Answer ✓
    A few grand in dev time and you could have something similar

@jahansonlocker firebug wont help 100%

Sometimes you have to get your hands dirty

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    edited November 2011
    The penny arcade theme won't be released for obvious reasons, but we are very pleased with it. Let me tell you something though. That theme was the source of most of the controversy when launching that site. The reasons?

1. The theme switched from a dark background to a light background.
    2. The theme has a decent amount of padding around many elements.

Of course this is over simplifying things, but I was shocked that such a light background could make so many "eyes bleed" and give so many people "migraines". Also surprised to find out that Vanilla is more cluttered than the cluttered mess that is vBulletin. You can even see that there's a thriving subcommittee of community members writing and maintaining scripts to "fix" penny arcade's theme. I personally made their mobile theme dark for them on my own time as a small ointment for their bleeding eyes and migraines. It was the only humane thing to do really.

I think that penny arcade's designer did a great job and the theme looks great. I think a lot of people are probably warming to the new theme now too. And I'd say that this was a very successful migration and they have just an amazing community over there.

However, this type of thing really raises an issue that we struggle with. Moving a community is damn tough. No matter what, there are always people that are disappointed in change. The problem is that they convince themselves that it's not just change that they don't like. There are always a litany of concrete nitpicks that all add to the noise of endless feature requests.
  • MupetzMupetz New
    edited December 2011

@Todd Penny Arcade is the best vanilla custom I've seen. I love the old school forum hierarchy: Index->Categories->Posts

I would really like to know how to use that on a design I'm working on. @digibomb maybe you can help us out :)
    All we want is the forum structure: Categories to act as forums.

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff

Vanilla already has the ability to make the categories/all your homepage. Just go to your dashboard and choose the appropriate view for your home page.

The second thing you'll want to do is make your categories nested and then check the "Display root categories as headings" option.

That's your basic setup. The rest is all theming.

• omg, i feel stupid.
    I've browsed all menus from the dashboard excepting Homepage. Never clicked that one.
    Thanks Todd :S

• jspautschjspautsch Themester ✭✭✭

Todd said:
    Vanilla already has the ability to make the categories/all your homepage. Just go to your dashboard and choose the appropriate view for your home page.

The second thing you'll want to do is make your categories nested and then check the "Display root categories as headings" option.

That's your basic setup. The rest is all theming.

This only gets you so far. Vanilla is still based around having an All Discussions view. Not only is the button still there (although CSS can hide it), but most "Cancel" or "Back to Discussions" links take you to All Discussions instead of the category you were just viewing. I suppose you could add a route that points to categories/all, but taking you back to the category that the discussion was posted in would be much more useful.

• sahotataransahotataran Developer, Bay Area - CA ✭✭✭
    edited December 2011