Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Can't get proxy connect to work

edited December 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Don't know where I've gone wrong, but I installed Vanilla 2, WordPress 3.3 and PorxyConnect. But If I activate the proxy connect authenticator. It shows a empty page at login, and I get locked out of wordpress.

Any idea what is wrong here?

Tagged:

Best Answers

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    Answer ✓

The most important thing is your cookie domain. You should examine your cookies in your browser and make sure that your wordpress cookies and your Vanilla cookies have the same domain.

edited December 2011 Answer ✓

Okay Vanilla sets a cookie too and if you don't see it then either:

a) You aren't browsing to Vanilla when you do this test.
    b) Vanilla has the wrong cookie domain and it doesn't have permission to write the cookie on your site.

ProxyConnect has a place to specify your cookie domain. Make sure it's .golfclub-stippelberg.nl.

Answer ✓

I really don't know what's going on here. Here are some other points:

1. You really need to have curl enabled. We've made this requirement more clear in recent releases of ProxyRequest.
    2. Your host may not allow the curl requests that we make during ProxyRequest.
    3. The most recent version of ProxyRequest does have a test page. Make sure it checks out there.
    4. We are releasing a newer WordPress plugin shortly that will not use ProxyRequest, but rather jsConnect.
    Answer ✓

It looks like you have everything setup correctly. Try the following.

1. Make sure you are signed in to Wordpress.
    2. Browse to /entry/land in Vanilla. This will force Vanilla to recheck the SSO.
    Answer ✓

I notice your cookie domains are not the same. One is .golfclub-stippelberg.nl and one is golfclub-stippelberg.nl.

Answer ✓

Additionally, make sure that your default roles are set up properly and that they have permission to sign in. Sign in to the admin account you made Vanilla with and see where your user is and what role they have. If that role does not have permission to sign in then you'll have a problem.

Answer ✓

Check to see if there are any users in Vanilla, not Wordpress. See what roles they have and if they have permission. Sign in through /entry/password and look at the users.

Answer ✓

Okay listen. It looks like you have something going wrong and it's really beyond the scope of community support to solve it.

• sahotataransahotataran Developer, Bay Area - CA ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

i had configured proxy connect on my localhost and just took me 5 mins without any problems signing in or anything. just followed the steps :)

:) can you try reinstalling everything or it will be too difficult to do????? i had tried everything localhost before going live with anything like that

Answer ✓

i mean installing wordpress and vanilla and the proxy connect - mean starting the whole process once again

Answer ✓

oh okie then its really hard

Answers

• O.K. managed to install i manualy, it tests SUCCESFULL.
    When I login Vanilla, it only recognizes my admin account. And login in wordpress does nothing.. (i.e. no login)

I'm stuck!

Proxy connect has a lot of documentation. You need to make sure you read through it and make sure you have everything set up first. Making sure your cookie domains and paths are correct is especially important.

• edited December 2011

O.K. have read quite some docs today regarding this... and it seems that I'm not smart enough to understand them. Made sure everything is correct at no avail.

• edited December 2011

Made a little progress...

Now I'm still able to log into wordpress when Vanilla Proxyconnect is activated.

It still does not log any user into vanilla.

Verification tests in vanilla still give SUCCESFULL, as they did before. However no new users get created.

Now when I log into vanilla, I get redirected to the wordpress login, return to vanilla.... that's it. Logged into WordPress not logged into Vanilla, and no new user made. I end on the page http://golfclub-stippelberg.nl/vanilla/entry/handshake/proxy (i.e. login screen vanilla)

• edited December 2011

Do I need to have Vanilla in a special place in regard to Wordpress?
    I now have them in:

• mydomain.nl/wp
    • mydomain.nl/vanilla

My Wordpress site address

• mydomain.nl
    Answer ✓

The most important thing is your cookie domain. You should examine your cookies in your browser and make sure that your wordpress cookies and your Vanilla cookies have the same domain.

• Hi Todd...

Thanks for the response... the only cookie I find in safari is [golfclub-stippelberg.nl]. I have both plugins [.golfclub-stippelberg.nl] for the cookie domain.

Okay Vanilla sets a cookie too and if you don't see it then either:

a) You aren't browsing to Vanilla when you do this test.
    b) Vanilla has the wrong cookie domain and it doesn't have permission to write the cookie on your site.

ProxyConnect has a place to specify your cookie domain. Make sure it's .golfclub-stippelberg.nl.

• edited December 2011

Removed all cookies and looked in Firefox:

I have a VanillaProxy cookie
    A wordpress_... and a wordpress_logged_in_...

All have [.golfclub-stippelberg.nl] as domain.

Both pluggins have this domain specified as cookie domain.

I really don't how how I can verify if vanilla has permission to write the cookie on my site, other than finding it in my browser.

Is there anything in my htaccess file that can interfere?

(IfModule mod_rewrite.c)
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
    (/IfModule)

# BEGIN WordPress
    (IfModule mod_rewrite.c)
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
    (/IfModule)

# END WordPress

Answer ✓

I really don't know what's going on here. Here are some other points:

1. You really need to have curl enabled. We've made this requirement more clear in recent releases of ProxyRequest.
    2. Your host may not allow the curl requests that we make during ProxyRequest.
    3. The most recent version of ProxyRequest does have a test page. Make sure it checks out there.
    4. We are releasing a newer WordPress plugin shortly that will not use ProxyRequest, but rather jsConnect.
  • edited December 2011

1-Curl installed and active

curl

cURL support enabled
    cURL Information libcurl/7.21.6 OpenSSL/0.9.8b zlib/1.2.3 libidn/0.6.5

2-I can't tell (asked my ISP, info is pending)

3-Checked and double checked

Make sure you are logged in to http://golfclub-stippelberg.nl, then press 'Test!'.
    Remote Response
    UniqueID=2
    Name=Webmaster
    Email=webmaster@golfclub-stippelberg.nl
    TransientKey=a36053b176
    DateOfBirth=
    Gender=Male
    UniqueID 2
    Name Webmaster
    Email webmaster@golfclub-stippelberg.nl
    TransientKey a36053b176
    DateOfBirth
    Gender Male
    Decoded Response
    Email webmaster@golfclub-stippelberg.nl
    UniqueID 2
    Name Webmaster
    TransientKey a36053b176
    TEST SUCCESSFUL
    You are logged in as Webmaster at http://golfclub-stippelberg.nl

4-Looking forward to it ;-)

Answer ✓

It looks like you have everything setup correctly. Try the following.

1. Make sure you are signed in to Wordpress.
    2. Browse to /entry/land in Vanilla. This will force Vanilla to recheck the SSO.
  • O.K. done..

It is taking me to http://golfclub-stippelberg.nl/vanilla/discussions

Not logged in Vanilla.

I'm logged into wordpress, you can check: http://golfclub-stippelberg.nl/vanilla/entry/land

Answer ✓

I notice your cookie domains are not the same. One is .golfclub-stippelberg.nl and one is golfclub-stippelberg.nl.

• edited December 2011

I'm baffled...
    The wordpress_... and wordpress_logged_in_... cookies in my browser have Domain: .golfclub-stippelberg.nl

I've got a few wordpress cookies with Host: golfclub-stippelberg.nl but no others with Domain: golf club-stippelberg.nl

Answer ✓

Additionally, make sure that your default roles are set up properly and that they have permission to sign in. Sign in to the admin account you made Vanilla with and see where your user is and what role they have. If that role does not have permission to sign in then you'll have a problem.

• edited December 2011

I'm using the standard roles in wordpress, and I've been testing with members and Admin.
    The only user in vanilla is the admin.

• edited December 2011

About the cookie domains.... is there any way I can change those golfclub-stippelberg.nl to .golfclub-stippelberg.nl

Putting: define('COOKIE_DOMAIN', '.golfclub-stippelberg.nl'); in wp-config.php still does not log me into vanilla.

Answer ✓

Check to see if there are any users in Vanilla, not Wordpress. See what roles they have and if they have permission. Sign in through /entry/password and look at the users.

• One user: AdminJack jackey@melisgs.nl Administrator 12 December 18:42 95.97.101.31