Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Badges

422422 Developer MVP
edited December 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

They are really cool.

Do you have plans on leaderboards ?

What about for adding addons etc ?

Care to share some insider info guys.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Best Answer

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    Answer ✓

There is already a leader board. Click the activity link at the top of this page.

We may add a badge or two for adding addons, but it's not a priority.

With badges in general, the main thing to keep in mind is that we will be first and foremost be adding badges for positive behaviour. When we talk about badges to other people and see them discussed on this forum people stray towards offering a slew of badges for bad behaviour. While this is more fun to do it won't promote a good community at all.

Some of the stuff I want to do:

1. Show people the post they got a badge for.
    2. Give out badges for creating discussions that are really good. There are several things I have in mind for this.
    3. Add a class of badges that are a bit more rare and difficult to get.

The idea behind forums is that they are content factories with a lot of noise, but also some great content. We want that great content to be easier to find and discover by new people. Our badges, points, and likes (and other reactions) are all a part of this picture. We haven't finished the work yet, but I know it's going to be really special when it's done.

Answers

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    Answer ✓

There is already a leader board. Click the activity link at the top of this page.

With badges in general, the main thing to keep in mind is that we will be first and foremost be adding badges for positive behaviour. When we talk about badges to other people and see them discussed on this forum people stray towards offering a slew of badges for bad behaviour. While this is more fun to do it won't promote a good community at all.

2. Give out badges for creating discussions that are really good. There are several things I have in mind for this.

The idea behind forums is that they are content factories with a lot of noise, but also some great content. We want that great content to be easier to find and discover by new people. Our badges, points, and likes (and other reactions) are all a part of this picture. We haven't finished the work yet, but I know it's going to be really special when it's done.

• 422422 Developer MVP

Awesome, and great concept. Its certainly creating a positive buzz. Im in second.. Woohoo

• aeryaery Gtricks Forum in 2.2 :) ✭✭✭

When will be these badges will be released to the community?

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

@aery There is no timeline yet.

• aeryaery Gtricks Forum in 2.2 :) ✭✭✭

Sigh. But I am sure all the webmasters will appreciate this step.

• ddumontddumont ✭✭
    edited December 2011

Todd said:

We totally need a badge that rewards you when you search for something and like a post that you've found

• Can't wait for this to be relased. Badges and a Gallery would change everything on my fishing based vanilla.

I'm counting days :)