Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Two Questions: I can't move categories and users cannot see all categories once signed on.

edited December 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hello, I am brand new to Vanilla and to these help forums. I am used to phpBB but am using Vanilla because I needed the facebook connect option. So far, I LOVE what I see! But...

When I went to the help section to figure out how to move my categories, it said something like you just drag and drop them. This does not work for me.

So, I gave up and decided ENOUGH ALREADY with all the categories! I created two categories so no re-organizing required, and it just makes more sense anyway. But I would like the option if I change my mind!

Also, I signed into my vanilla forums using my son's facebook account. This worked and I could see both of my categories at first, but then when I clicked on a discussion, I could not get back to the screen where both categories were listed. He was stuck on that one discussion. Weird.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Best Answer

Answers

• TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff

You're not giving us a lot to go on here. Specifically, if a client-side UI element is not working we are ALWAYS going to want to know your operating system and browser (with version).

As for the categories, you should be able to go into the dashboard and set your forum's Homepage style (under Appearance > Homepage). This defines how the top level page of your forum renders content. Then, when you click on "Discussions", you should see the kind of page you're expecting.

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• Sorry Tim! I just got a new computer with windows 7. I'm using internet explorer because google chrome did not work with this forum software. The forums can be found here: http://www.nasjrb.classysites.com/talk. Does that help at all?

I am going to my dashboard now to see if I can change my style.

I am pretty shocked to hear you say that Google Chrome doesn't work with Vanilla, so you switched to IE. It is more true the other way around. I'm actually posting from Chrome right now. What exactly "doesn't work" when you use Chrome?

• OK so one of the problems was my son's account was not approved by me! SORRY! Still haven't tried to change the style. going now...

• edited December 2011

my son can now post comments but he still can't get back to the original screen where you can view both categories. As for google chrome, I can't remember exactly what the problem was, I'll have to go back and try to recreate the issue. (I really like google chrome!)

The style isn't the problem. I've already played around with that.

Wait! I have an idea... BRB

The idea worked. I feel like a toad. Ribbit! Thanks Tim for your help.

(Users cannot go back to view categories that don't have any discussions yet. Once I added a discussion it worked perfectly.)

This still doesn't solve the problem of not being able to move the categories. Do you have a suggestion for that?

You need to go to this screen and choose "All Categories"

• Tim, I don't mean to be a pita but changing the setting to all categories does not allow me to move my categories around and it also does not prevent my users from getting "lost" in new discussions. How do my new users go back to the home page? I'm sure I'm missing something extremely simple but if I'm lost I'm afraid my users will be too.

• Oh and to anyone else who might be able to shed some light - I know I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed! But you have to give credit to the fact that I'm relentless and I don't give up! My apologies for my weaknesses ahead of time and your help is GREATLY appreciated.

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP
    Answer ✓

i had problems moving categories around in one of my test instances. it would throw and error when i moved something and usually nothing took.

I can't give you a simple answer, but it appeared to be a problem with my php install. i reinstalled everything clean and did not have the issue anymore.

• Good idea, a fresh install. I figured it was just me but it is possible something loaded a little funky! Thanks!

• I was hoping it would overwrite the old files and keep the database but it's all gone. I have to start over. Good thing it is crazy easy to set up! Way simpler than phpbb!