Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

one blog for each user - possible?

fh111fh111 Vanilla Padawan ✭✭
edited December 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hi, this plugin looks great! is it possible to have one blog for each user and link it in the user profile page?

Best Answer

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    Answer ✓

I really don't recommend adding a category for each user, no.

Why don't you just allow users to blog to the blog category and then show their blog posts on their profile?

In my opinion, you always want the forum to be read at the community level first, not the profile level. If someone's blog is stuck in their profile then other people are unlikely to read it and it just doesn't promote the community well.

Answers

• 422422 Developer MVP

Thats a real good question

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• ddumontddumont ✭✭
    edited December 2011

I have been thinking a bit about this question.

I think we'd first have to have a scenario where each user were to have their own category. NillaBlog is based off of categories, and I'm pretty sure a user's activity status isn't set up to be taken over as a blog.

@Todd what do you think about personal categories? It sounds almost like what the share activity (and subsequent comments) are.

I don't know if the core devs will want this feature, so there may have to be a plugin that takes care of this scenario. It will have to:

• Create a category for each user... (hopefully on the first post only).. not sure how this would scale...
    • Hide those categories from the main display
    • Correctly set default permissions similar to blog style permissions
    • Set up a link to display the categories via the user's profile.

Now that I think about it, unless the activity stream for a user were converted to use these user categories, I don't think it would be very useful in general to have many categories available to just the user without them being blogs.

I'll have to think about this a bit more.

Answer ✓

I really don't recommend adding a category for each user, no.

Why don't you just allow users to blog to the blog category and then show their blog posts on their profile?

In my opinion, you always want the forum to be read at the community level first, not the profile level. If someone's blog is stuck in their profile then other people are unlikely to read it and it just doesn't promote the community well.

• TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff

ddumont said:
    I have been thinking a bit about this question.

Create a category for each user... (hopefully on the first post only).. not sure how this would scale...

Really really badly. When you understand how permissions work in Vanilla, and how we cache categories, you'll realize that this would bring down even a small-to-medium sized forum in short order.

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• While I have @Todd and @Tim here... Were you ever planning on using NillaBlog for the Blog category here on the forum? :)

Maybe we should hmm...

I'll have to take a look. We are in a multi-webhead environment so I need to see if it's even possible.

• TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff

.com will be single webhead for the foreseeable future though.

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• fh111fh111 Vanilla Padawan ✭✭

Todd said:

this is a great solution : )