Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Changing "apply for membership" options

mitchellmmitchellm New
edited September 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I've just started using Vanilla forums and I like it a lot. For a variety of reasons I need to have people apply for membership.

Is there a way to customize the form people fill out? First, the gender item needs to go. Second, the "why" text box question probably also needs to go.

However, I would like to ask an item asking what type of employee they are (part-time, full-time) and perhaps what department the work in. Is there any way to easily do this? If so, I'm not finding it.
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• I'm going to have to second that the gender feature either needs to be removed, or barring that expanded. In terms of accessibility, "male" and "female", while they do cover most of the population, they do not apply to everyone, and if it going to continue to be a necessary field, the options "other" and "not given" should be allowed.
  • 422422 Developer MVP
    Doesn't gender ? Male or female ... Cover all of the population ?????

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• 422, the transgendered community might disagree...
  • BubCityBubCity New
    edited January 2012

I would like to remove the "Gender" information simply because it shouldn't matter. Besides the fact that my forum is not a dating site, many members feel that their opinions will become biased on whether they are male or female.... or other for that matter. For instance, how much could a Female know about auto mechanics? And what would a Straight Male know about decorating?

How can we remove it?

• edited January 2012

BubCity, have you had any luck removing the gender information?

I've removed the gender-related information from the register.php files (www\applications\dashboard\views\entry\register*.php:) and haven't had any issues since, but i'm very inexperienced at this and am not sure if there is a better way.

• edited May 2012

CurtisOden said:
    422, the transgendered community might disagree...

For situations such as this you may want to edit:

$this->GenderOptions = array( 'm' => T('Male'), 'f' => T('Female'), 't' => T('Transvestite') }

In:

applications/dashboard/controllers/class.profilecontroller.php

applications/dashboard/controllers/class.entrycontroller.php

Just thought I'd add this while I was looking at it.

• PamelaPamela ✭✭

For situations such as this you may want to edit:

$this->GenderOptions = array( 'm' => T('Male'), 'f' => T('Female'), 't' => T('Transvestite') }

In:

applications/dashboard/controllers/class.profilecontroller.php

applications/dashboard/controllers/class.entrycontroller.php

Just thought I'd add this while I was looking at it.

Thank you! but if I select your 3rd option then I get a "Gender is not valid." error...

I've missing to do something :) is not ?

PS: I'm using Vanilla 2.0.18.4

• Wow, I can't believe after all this time this hasn't been fixed. The issue isn't male/female/transgender. The issue is why are we asking the question in the first place? Can't we just remove this somehow?

• Maybe there is a way to simply hide the "Gender" radio buttons on the "Apply for Membership" screen?

• gharaldgharald
    edited February 2014

Found it! Fixed it!

1. Go to applications -> dashboard -> views -> entry
    2. Find the registration file you use (for my forum, it's registercaptcha.php).
    3. Copy it to your theme folder. It should go in views -> entry (create an "entry" subfolder if it doesn't already exist.
    4. Open the new register file, and delete the whole <li class="Gender"> section.
    5. Repeat this for each of the register options (register closed, register simple or register approve are the other 3) .