HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Food for thought - forum etiquette

2»

Comments

• @hbf Half the time I would love for someone to point me in ANY direction, even if it's to say "can't be done." To which I may cry "aw, shucks" but then I let it go or attempt some workaround. I love it when someone links me to a tutorial or documentation; frankly that's exactly what I'm looking for. I was surprised to received one snarky "figure it out yourself" answer from someone who is a moderator here. That's when I start to think things are going south for this community.

@Opportunity has a good point. Perhaps this forum could benefit by installing the RoleTitle plugin (http://vanillaforums.org/addon/roletitle-plugin) and then the admin and mods here could assign various roles to certain knowledgeable members such as "Developer" and "Programmer", "Vanilla Designer" and so on. That would at least help identify them as such in threads, so that someone who is actively looking through relevant threads for qualified help can find and contact someone who at least has some angle on similar problems: like the way I PMed @Todd recently to see if he could provide a variation on one of his codes (no, but it was still worth a shot).

• 422422 Developer MVP

Thing is @dudieboy , the majority of us are like you. We are learning all the time.

I still have no idea how to fiddle with core code and plugins / schmuggins are like japanese to me.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff

At any rate @dudieboy, I really appreciate your honest thoughts. It's all great feedback. If we had the feature I'd identify you as someone that I'd pay attention to more for support. Hmm...

• @Todd LOL, what kind of support? Mostly I just go around posting "Yeah, I have this problem too." ;)

But I admit I've learned a lot recently, especially while rewriting the default theme for my site. I would indeed be happy to share any insight I can provide into custom theme-ing. Thanks for YOUR support!

• testing only...newbie here..

• Dudieboy, maybe Todd meant pay attention to you because you need more support? ;)

I'd certainly qualify for that!

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited April 2012

nice.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• good

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2012

time for a bump.

and if it is not already mentioned.

post your version number of vanilla when asking a question, it will save alot of time and confusion. saying "current version" - does not cut it (there are multiple current versions).

you might also want to click the awesome and like button - once in a while if you get some help, thats what the buttons are for

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• bump.

• when posting a question about a specific plugin

go to the addons section select the plugin you are asking a question about.

Post your question from the addons section.

The question will then be tied to the plugin and it will be easier to find when other people have the same question.

@underdog - perhaps a move to the Tutorials category?